Increased federal funding for 'safeguarding Canada's Jewish community' welcomed by CIJA | Page 8 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Stewart Lewis
Publication Date: April 28, 2026 - 18:53

Stay informed

Increased federal funding for 'safeguarding Canada's Jewish community' welcomed by CIJA

April 28, 2026

The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs is welcoming a substantial increase in funding from the Canada Community Security Program.

Ottawa has more than doubled its funding allocation over five years from $60M to $135M, said Noah Shack, the CIJA’s CEO in a statement on Tuesday. “This is a significant step forward in safeguarding Canada’s Jewish community.”

The federal program provides funding to safeguard at-risk communities, including security upgrades, security guard funding and emergency training supports.

Since the Hamas-led massacre of October 7, threats targeting Canadian Jewish communities have continued to escalate, said Shack.

Meanwhile, he adds, Canada’s security agencies have warned that a violent mass attack against the Jewish community is a realistic possibility.

“It’s essential that government programs evolve to meet this challenge head-on,” said Shack. “Today’s announcement, together with with the recent $10 million in emergency funding for the Jewish community, represents Canada’s most substantial investment in community security to date.

“These investments are essential for the future of Jewish life in this country, helping community institutions that are increasingly forced to divert resources away from education, social services, and childcare to meet urgent security needs.”

National Post previously reported on the CIJA’s lobby efforts for increased funding in today’s economic statement.

In an April 15 letter to Prime Minister Mark Carney, the CIJA estimated that annual security costs within Canadian Jewish communities will reach $100 million.

The letter was endorsed by more than 80 Jewish federations, community centres, synagogues, camps and schools.

“Rising security demands are forcing cuts and scaling back services, placing a growing strain on the future of Jewish life across the country,” stated the letter. It also harkened back to a Liberal party statement made in the federal election campaign that “increased security costs amidst rising antisemitism should not be borne by the Jewish community alone.”

Previously, the CIJA estimated that Canada’s per capita investment in Jewish community security is one-third of the United Kingdom’s and one-quarter of Australia’s.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
A Toronto driver who fought and lost an accusation of failing to stop at a red light nearly two decades back has cleared his name on appeal. Neville Greene was charged on June 4, 2007. He pleaded not guilty, but a justice of the peace convicted him on July 10, 2008, after a police officer testified that he watched Greene turn left at the intersection of Sheppard Avenue West and Jane Street after the light turned red. “The Justice of the Peace’s reasons for conviction consist of the following two sentences: The officer was clear, concise and convincing of all the elements of the...
May 21, 2026 - 07:00 | Chris Lambie | National Post
Good morning. Uber drivers in Victoria scored a historic contract, but the fight over wages continues – more on that below, along with generic Ozempic’s long-awaited arrival and the murder charges against Cuba’s former president Raúl Castro. But first:
May 21, 2026 - 06:31 | Danielle Groen | The Globe and Mail
When Lady Fantasia LaPremiere and Mz Molly Poppinz—or, to use the names by which they are known outside of Thunder Bay’s drag circles, John Forget and Felicia Crichton—first started getting messages about a hateful post circulating on Facebook in 2022, they thought the mature thing would be to ignore it. The post was on a page called “Real Thunder Bay Courthouse—Inside Edition” and featured headshots of Lady Fantasia and Mz Molly from a poster for a drag queen storytime event at the public library. “Apparently, our City Council is completely unaware of local drag queens who have been...
May 21, 2026 - 06:30 | Linda Besner | Walrus