Mark Carney set to announce his new governor general. Who could it be? | Page 9 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Catherine Lévesque
Publication Date: May 5, 2026 - 07:00

Stay informed

Mark Carney set to announce his new governor general. Who could it be?

May 5, 2026

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney is set to announce his pick as Canada’s next governor general, who is bilingual in both official languages and most likely a woman.

The event will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning at a museum in Ottawa. The prime minister’s itinerary simply indicates that he will be announcing a “new appointment.” Carney is expected to take questions from reporters afterwards.

Carney will have to submit his recommendation to King Charles, who will approve the appointment. The new governor general will become his representative in Canada.

Despite wild speculation, little information has filtered on who will be replacing the current governor general, Mary Simon, in the vice-regal role. Different media outlets have reported that the new appointee will be a woman who currently resides in the Montreal area.

But what is certain is that the chosen individual will be able to speak French and English, after Simon faced controversy for her inability to speak French.

Carney told Radio-Canada he was “absolutely” committed to nominating a new governor general who is bilingual in English and French. Canadian Identity and Culture Minister Marc Miller also told reporters on Monday of the new appointee: “They’ll be bilingual.”

More details to follow…

National Post calevesque@postmedia.com

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Tejinder Singh , who is visiting family from India, was walking north along Highway 97 Year Highway 33 last week when the violent incident occurred.
May 20, 2026 - 23:33 | Klaudia Van Emmerik | Global News - Canada
Even a few Toronto Maple Leafs fans came in to cheer on Newhook, but they were reluctant to admit it, said the owner of the Newfoundland Embassy pub.
May 20, 2026 - 23:23 | Alessia Simona Maratta | Global News - Canada
Hundreds of millions of dollars have already been spent on the construction of the new White House ballroom, according to President Donald Trump. To date, it has mostly occurred below ground level. During a press conference at the site on Tuesday, Trump explained that the new 90,000-square-foot White House ballroom will have a massive military complex under it. It will include a military hospital, research facilities and various meeting rooms in the floors below the ballroom, Trump said. The construction goes down “six stories deep,” he said, describing the building as “well-knit” in...
May 20, 2026 - 23:05 | Stewart Lewis | National Post