Mexican man pleads guilty to smuggling migrants into U.S. from Canada | Page 6 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Chris Knight
Publication Date: May 8, 2026 - 11:33

Stay informed

Mexican man pleads guilty to smuggling migrants into U.S. from Canada

May 8, 2026

A Mexican national living illegally in the United States has pleaded guilty to charges of bringing illegal immigrants across the border from Canada into the U.S., the U.S. Department of Justice says.

Edgar Sanchez-Solis, 24, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit alien smuggling and five counts of alien smuggling for commercial advantage and private financial gain, the DOJ said in a press release on Thursday. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 10, and will face a penalty of between five and 15 years in prison.

According to court documents, Sanchez-Solis was a leader in an alien smuggling organization (ASO) while living illegally in Kansas City, Missouri. The ASO allegedly smuggled hundreds of aliens from Mexico and Central and South America into the United States via the Canadian border, then employed drivers to bring them further into the country.

“The defendant personally participated in and coordinated smuggling events with other leaders of the ASO,” the Department said. “During one smuggling event in May 2023, a van carrying aliens became involved in a high-speed chase with U.S. Border Patrol. Border Patrol had to stop their pursuit due to the risk to the public. Ultimately the local sheriff’s department used a tire deflation device to stop the vehicle after it failed to yield.”

The guilty plea stems from charges laid a year ago against Sanchez-Solis and three other men living in Kansas, Georgia and Ohio. All were charged with conspiracy to bring aliens to the United States and 25 counts of bringing aliens illegally to the United States for profit, after they were arrested by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

“These individuals acted in blatant disregard of our nation’s laws, allegedly smuggling hundreds of aliens into the United States for thousands of dollars each,” ICE Homeland Security Investigations Buffalo Special Agent in Charge Erin Keegan said at the time. “They’re alleged to have repeatedly put the public at risk through dangerous vehicle chases with law enforcement further demonstrating their contempt for the law and safety of others.”

“The defendants instructed smuggled aliens to make testimonial videos touting the enterprise’s services,” added Matthew R. Galeotti, Head of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division. “In reality, the defendants imperilled their human cargo and innocent American lives when they repeatedly engaged in life-threatening conduct, including multiple high-speed getaways from law enforcement.”

According to court documents, the four defendants were part of an alien smuggling organization that had been operating for the past two years in Mexico, Canada and the United States.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
One of the youngest players on the ice on Monday night just happened to be one of the most important ones in keeping the Ottawa Charge alive in the Walter Cup final. Read More
May 18, 2026 - 23:05 | Natasha Baldin | Ottawa Citizen
The Ottawa Charge avoided elimination with a 2-1 comeback victory over the Montreal Victoire in Game 3 of the Walter Cup final Monday night. CBC's Emma Weller was there.
May 18, 2026 - 22:58 | | CBC News - Ottawa
The Ottawa Charge is alive to fight another day. Read More
May 18, 2026 - 21:14 | Don Brennan | Ottawa Citizen