N.Y. troopers nab Canadians, Pakistani on alleged gun smuggling run into Canada | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Stewart Lewis
Publication Date: May 9, 2026 - 14:33

Stay informed

N.Y. troopers nab Canadians, Pakistani on alleged gun smuggling run into Canada

May 9, 2026
Three “inconsistent and evasive” men pulled over for a traffic stop in New York State were found with a cache of 89 firearms they were attempting to smuggle into Canada, authorities said. Canadian citizen Malik Bromfield, 22, Pakistani citizen Faizan Ali, 25, and Kamal Salman, 22, a citizen of Canada, the United States, and Jordan were charged after a joint operation involving New York State Police (NYSP), the FBI and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The three “were caught transporting more than 80 guns, including short-barreled rifles and stolen firearms, to smuggle them out of the country,” said Jay Clayton, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, in a statement released on Friday. New York state troopers pulled over the trio’s rented white Ford Explorer shortly after 6 p.m. on May 7 after observing traffic violations on State Route 90. Police asked the three men to get out for questioning. “During the course of the roadside interview … (the troopers) observed that the defendants were providing inconsistent and evasive accounts in response to NYSP questioning,” according to a sworn complaint by FBI Special Agent Brian Jennings. A NYSP sniffer dog conducted a sweep of the exterior of the Explorer, and a preliminary search turned up an unusually heavy suitcase containing a large cache of firearms. They also allegedly found approximately $3,000 in United States currency, in $100 bills, in the glovebox.

The complaint was subsequently filed in the U.S. District Court by the FBI. It sets out the charges against the suspects.

Each man has been charged with one count of smuggling from the United States, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison; one count of unlicensed dealing in firearms, which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison; one count of transporting stolen firearms in interstate commerce, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison; and one count of unlawful possession of firearms, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.“The quantity and variety of firearms … is wholly inconsistent with possession of firearms for personal use and instead consistent with the transport and trafficking of firearms for sale and distribution,” said Jennings.Bromfield is also charged with unlawful possession of a firearm by an alien, which carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison. Police said Bromfield was the driver, and that they seized a cellphone from him.“Visible on the lock screen of that cellphone, on an apparent GPS navigation application, was a certain address in or near Hammond, New York, which, based on my research, is located immediately across the St. Lawrence River from Ontario, Canada,” said Jennings.The investigation showed that the Explorer had been spotted northbound on the I-95 in Jupiter, Fla., the previous day, police said.Among the firearms recovered from the Ford Explorer were at least 17 firearms determined by the FBI to have been previously reported stolen.The complaint states that none of the suspects “hold a license as an importer, manufacturer, or dealer of firearms.” Neither has any of them “applied for, or received a license to export firearms or ammunition.”The prosecution is being handled by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in White Plains, New York. The suspects appeared before a U.S. magistrate in White Plains federal court and were detained.

related_links /]

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
One of the youngest players on the ice on Monday night just happened to be one of the most important ones in keeping the Ottawa Charge alive in the Walter Cup final. Read More
May 18, 2026 - 23:05 | Natasha Baldin | Ottawa Citizen
The Ottawa Charge avoided elimination with a 2-1 comeback victory over the Montreal Victoire in Game 3 of the Walter Cup final Monday night. CBC's Emma Weller was there.
May 18, 2026 - 22:58 | | CBC News - Ottawa
The Ottawa Charge is alive to fight another day. Read More
May 18, 2026 - 21:14 | Don Brennan | Ottawa Citizen