Alberta court strikes down independence petition over First Nations complaints | Page 903 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Jesse Snyder
Publication Date: May 13, 2026 - 17:47

Stay informed

Alberta court strikes down independence petition over First Nations complaints

May 13, 2026

An Alberta Court of King’s Bench judge has blocked Elections Alberta’s approval of a petition that would force a referendum on the province separating from Canada.

In two decisions posted on Wednesday, Justice Sheila Leonard ruled that Alberta’s chief electoral officer Gordon McClure wrongfully approved the petition given an earlier ruling that found the separation question would violate First Nations’ treaty rights. She also found that the Crown had failed in its duty to consult with applicants Piikani Nation, Siksika Nation, Blood Tribe and Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation.

Despite the decision, Alberta Premier Danielle Smith could still add a separation question to a planned October referendum, which will let voters decide whether or not to secede from the federation.

The petition, led by an organization called Stay Free Alberta, claimed to have collected just over 300,000 signatures in favour of separation. If Elections Alberta was to verify the signatures of that petition — which asks “Do you agree that the Province of Alberta should cease to be a part of Canada to become an independent state?” — Smith had said she would add the question to the referendum.

Several First Nations had raised opposition to the petition in court, arguing that it threatened to undermine their treaty rights, which in many cases predate Alberta’s formation in 1905. Justice Leonard had earlier agreed to delay Elections Alberta’s verification process, until Wednesday’s decision overruled it.

More to come…

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Israel forces opened fire on at least two vessels in an aid flotilla sailing toward Gaza. At least 11 Canadians on board have been detained by Israeli authorities. The ships had set sail from Turkey for a third time to deliver aid, after earlier attempts were stopped by Israel. Global Affairs Canada says it was unaware that Canadians were involved and is monitoring the situation.
May 19, 2026 - 17:50 | | CBC News - Canada
OTTAWA — Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe says his province will begin talks with the federal government around how to find a “workable place” when it comes to the question of charging an industrial carbon tax. “We’re open to the discussion about finding a place where that would work for the industries that are employing people here,” he told National Post on Tuesday. “So, I wouldn’t say we’re entirely open to just doing it, but we’re open to trying to find a workable place with the federal government.” Moe’s comments come after Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle...
May 19, 2026 - 17:26 | Stephanie Taylor | National Post