'Disappointing decision': Carney reacts to Honda pulling out of $15-billion EV project in Ontario | Page 905 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Jordan Gowling
Publication Date: May 14, 2026 - 14:58

Stay informed

'Disappointing decision': Carney reacts to Honda pulling out of $15-billion EV project in Ontario

May 14, 2026

OTTAWA— Prime Minister Mark Carney called Honda’s decision not to move forward with its electric vehicle project in Alliston, Ont., a “disappointing decision.”

“It’s a decision that reflects the broader strategic position and financial position of that company,” said Carney, during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday. “It’s part of a global series of decisions that they’ve taken.”

Carney said despite Honda’s decision, the shift to lower emission zero emission vehicles will likely continue to progress globally and here in Canada.

“But those are choices for Canadians,” said Carney, alluding to consumer sentiment in the car market.

Honda Canada released a statement on Thursday , citing evolving business conditions, a change in strategy and shifting customer demand, as the reasons for the indefinite suspension of the project. The company intends to refocus its efforts on hybrid models.

On Thursday, it was reported the company had recorded its first ever annual loss of $2.7 billion, due to heavy costs for its electric vehicle plants and U.S. President Donald Trump’s trade policies.

News of the carmaker pulling out of the EV project was first reported by the Japanese publication Nikkei Asia last week.

The project was first announced in 2022, with the federal government committing $131.6 billion through the Strategic Innovation Fund, now renamed the Strategic Response Fund. The province of Ontario matched the same investment.

Honda Canada was clear in its statement that it did not receive any funds that were promised by both levels of government.

“While the investment project received a future funding commitment from both provincial and federal governments, no funds have been transferred to Honda as a result of that commitment,” the statement read.

The auto industry has said the competitiveness of the sector in Canada remains reliant on its integration with the U.S.

During an interview for CTV’s Question Period in March, Japan’s Ambassador to Canada Kanji Yamanouchi said stable access to the U.S. market is critical to ongoing Japanese investment in Canada.

The auto company said it remains committed to its existing plant in Alliston, Ont., that builds Honda Civic and CR-V models. In 2025, Honda built approximately 400,000 vehicles in Canada, 198,000 were civic units and 202,000 were CR-V units. Nearly 60 per cent of Honda vehicles sold in Canada last year were hybrid.

While existing employment levels remain unchanged by Thursday’s announcement, the decision does mean the loss of 1,000 jobs that were promised under the new EV plant.

National Post

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
A Toronto driver who fought and lost an accusation of failing to stop at a red light nearly two decades back has cleared his name on appeal. Neville Greene was charged on June 4, 2007. He pleaded not guilty, but a justice of the peace convicted him on July 10, 2008, after a police officer testified that he watched Greene turn left at the intersection of Sheppard Avenue West and Jane Street after the light turned red. “The Justice of the Peace’s reasons for conviction consist of the following two sentences: The officer was clear, concise and convincing of all the elements of the...
May 21, 2026 - 07:00 | Chris Lambie | National Post
Good morning. Uber drivers in Victoria scored a historic contract, but the fight over wages continues – more on that below, along with generic Ozempic’s long-awaited arrival and the murder charges against Cuba’s former president Raúl Castro. But first:
May 21, 2026 - 06:31 | Danielle Groen | The Globe and Mail
When Lady Fantasia LaPremiere and Mz Molly Poppinz—or, to use the names by which they are known outside of Thunder Bay’s drag circles, John Forget and Felicia Crichton—first started getting messages about a hateful post circulating on Facebook in 2022, they thought the mature thing would be to ignore it. The post was on a page called “Real Thunder Bay Courthouse—Inside Edition” and featured headshots of Lady Fantasia and Mz Molly from a poster for a drag queen storytime event at the public library. “Apparently, our City Council is completely unaware of local drag queens who have been...
May 21, 2026 - 06:30 | Linda Besner | Walrus