Arrest of alleged Iran-backed terrorist underscores need for 'crackdown' in Canada: CIJA | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: National Post Staff
Publication Date: May 17, 2026 - 16:44

Stay informed

Arrest of alleged Iran-backed terrorist underscores need for 'crackdown' in Canada: CIJA

May 17, 2026

The U.S. arrest of an alleged member of an Iran-backed Iraqi militia who is accused of plotting terrorism attacks against Jewish people in Toronto and elsewhere is “a chilling reminder” of indisputable and strengthening presence of “foreign-backed terrorism targeting Canadians,” the Centre for Israel and Jewish affairs said Sunday.

“Canada needs to get tough on terror,” it wrote in a statement on X, calling for Kata’ib Hizballah, the organization linked to this attack, to be “immediately listed as a banned terrorist entity in Canada.”

The group regularly claim responsibility for attacks on U.S. targets in the Middle East, according to AFP , and was responsible for kidnapping American journalist Shelly Kittleson during the early days of the current war with Iran.

While Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps is on Canada’s list of terrorist entities, Kata’ib Hizballah is not. It was designated as a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S. in 2009 .

But CIJA said such a designation on its own “is insufficient.”

“We need the strongest possible measures to ensure terrorist organizations and their proxies cannot operate in Canada, including a crackdown on the promotion, recruitment, and financing of terrorism, and the radicalization that fuels violent attacks on Canadians.”

U.S. authorities alleged Friday that 32-year-old Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi is a senior commander in the Shia Islamist group who coordinated and supported terrorist plots targeting Jewish and American people and places in Europe, Canada and the United States.

The attacks in Canada include two in Toronto — the shooting at the U.S. consulate in March and another at an undisclosed synagogue. Three synagogues had been targeted in the week leading up to the consulate incident.

In court documents unsealed last week, the FBI described him as “a high-value target responsible for mass global terrorism.”

Prosecutors allege Al-Saadi directed or encouraged attacks in retaliation for recent U.S.-Israeli military strikes in Iran. Court filings link him and his associations to at least 16 other attacks in the U.S. and Europe, including stabbings, synagogue arsons, and attacks on Jewish schools and Israeli businesses.

Authorities say he also helped spread propaganda about the attacks online.

Investigators allege he later planned attacks from within the U.S., targeting another synagogue in New York and Jewish centres in California and Arizona. They also allege that he paid an undercover FBI operative a US$3,000 downpayment to carry out one of the attacks before he was arrested.

Al-Saadi appeared in a New York City federal court Friday where he faced six terrorism-related charges.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Israel forces opened fire on at least two vessels in an aid flotilla sailing toward Gaza. At least 11 Canadians on board have been detained by Israeli authorities. The ships had set sail from Turkey for a third time to deliver aid, after earlier attempts were stopped by Israel. Global Affairs Canada says it was unaware that Canadians were involved and is monitoring the situation.
May 19, 2026 - 17:50 | | CBC News - Canada
OTTAWA — Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe says his province will begin talks with the federal government around how to find a “workable place” when it comes to the question of charging an industrial carbon tax. “We’re open to the discussion about finding a place where that would work for the industries that are employing people here,” he told National Post on Tuesday. “So, I wouldn’t say we’re entirely open to just doing it, but we’re open to trying to find a workable place with the federal government.” Moe’s comments come after Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle...
May 19, 2026 - 17:26 | Stephanie Taylor | National Post