Canada nixes cross-border celebrations for Gordie Howe Bridge opening after new tariffs | Page 14 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Catherine Lévesque
Publication Date: July 21, 2026 - 18:49

Stay informed

Canada nixes cross-border celebrations for Gordie Howe Bridge opening after new tariffs

July 21, 2026

OTTAWA — Canada will not be taking part in cross-border celebrations to highlight the opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge next week, the government has announced.

“In light of trade action threatened by the United States earlier this week, it would be inappropriate to proceed with a celebratory event between the two countries,” said Jenna Ghassabeh, director of communications for the minister of housing and infrastructure, in a statement sent late Tuesday afternoon.

The bridge is scheduled to open to vehicle traffic on Monday, July 27.

This is the first snub from Canada after the Trump administration announced Monday its intention to apply a 50 per cent tariff on certain Canadian goods starting a month from now to respond to what it views as Canada’s unfair trade practices when it comes to dairy quotas, U.S. alcohol bans in some provinces and tariff quotas on American autos.

“The Gordie Howe International Bridge remains a vital infrastructure project that reflects years of hard work and will be a major economic driver in the region, expanding options for commuters, tourists, businesses, and families,” Ghassabeh said.

She added that while Canada remains “committed” to opening the bridge on July 27, as planned, Canadians will be celebrating this milestone among themselves on Friday, July 24.

An invitation to Friday’s Gordie Howe Bridge inauguration in Windsor circulating this week shows that it is intended for “key supporters” of the project. The event will feature “government, bridge leaders and other guests” who will be “celebrating” its opening.

The Gordie Howe Bridge began construction in 2018 to address the congestion of the privately-owned Ambassador Bridge. Canada financed the new connector at a cost of $6.4 billion, and an agreement was struck at the time with Michigan to allow Canada to receive all the revenue until it could recover its costs.

But in February, U.S. President Donald Trump said he did not agree with the terms of the deal and blocked an opening ceremony that was scheduled to take place in June.

After some negotiation behind closed doors, the Canadian government announced earlier this month that a new agreement had been reached to open the bridge on July 27.

The details of the new agreement struck with the Trump administration however are murky , which has led to opposition parties asking to release the deal publicly.

— With files from Jordan Gowling.

National Post calevesque@postmedia.com

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Good morning. We’re mentally preparing for a big week in trade negotiations, but our reporters have entertaining distractions to offer in the meantime. More on tariffs below, along with a new life for IMAX and the secret sauce behind a successful food festival.
August 17, 2026 - 06:48 | Sierra Bein | The Globe and Mail
August 17, 2026 - 06:36 | The Canadian Press staff | The Globe and Mail
Jewish students, faculty and staff at Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) say they have stopped wearing religious symbols, changed their routines, avoided campus events and, in some cases, concealed their identities because they fear harassment or assault. Those accounts are among the findings in a new external review of the TMU’s campus environment, which paints a picture of a “fractured campus environment” where the climate for its Jewish community has drastically worsened since Oct. 7, 2023, and Israel’s subsequent war with Hamas in Gaza. Before Hamas’ terrorist attack on Israel...
August 17, 2026 - 06:00 | National Post Staff | National Post