After contradiction, Carney says he could have ‘explained better’ the terms of U.S. bridge deal | Page 15 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Jordan Gowling
Publication Date: July 23, 2026 - 17:42

Stay informed

After contradiction, Carney says he could have ‘explained better’ the terms of U.S. bridge deal

July 23, 2026

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney said he could have “explained better” the terms of a new deal with the U.S. to share toll revenues for the Gordie Howe International Bridge, after the terms of the deal became public and contradicted his initial description.

The agreement, which was made public earlier this week, does not include a provision that allows Canada to account for its debt-servicing costs before splitting the revenue with the U.S.

This contradicts what the prime minister told CTV News on July 12 at the Calgary Stampede, when he was discussing the merits of the deal, while the terms were still undisclosed.

“Could I have explained it better on a Sunday morning at Stampede? Yeah, with a cowboy hat on,” said Carney on Thursday, during the closing press conference of a meeting with the premiers in Charlottetown. “Yes, I could have explained it better.” The deal was first announced by the federal government on July 10.

The agreement, eventually released by the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority, said Canada will give the U.S. 50 per cent of net revenues for the first 15 years, after recovering operating costs.

Carney confirmed Thursday that the operating expenses will not include debt repayment.

“I should have been clearer,” the prime minister added.

The bridge began construction in 2018 to address the congestion on the privately owned Ambassador Bridge, which handles just over a quarter of all Canada-U.S. trade.

An agreement that was struck with Michigan in 2012 originally stipulated that Canada was to pay for construction and receive all the toll revenue until it could recover its financing costs, including interest, after which revenues would be shared. Michigan and Canada are joint owners of the bridge.

In June, U.S. President Donald Trump blocked the opening of the bridge, claiming the original deal was unfair to the U.S. The Windsor mayor, among many others, had said the obstruction came as a result of lobbying efforts by the Maroun family, owners of the Ambassador Bridge, which stands to lose toll revenue to a competing trade route.

“The underlying agreement between Canada and Michigan remains in place,” said Carney on Thursday. “Under that agreement, there is no splitting of tolls under that agreement, which is what I was referring to — perhaps imperfectly. But there is no splitting of tolls under that agreement until all of the debt is repaid.”

Sitting alongside the prime minister, Ontario Premier Doug Ford commended the prime minister’s efforts to get the crossing open.

“The prime minister did an excellent job getting this deal done, getting $300 billion of goods across the border to create more opportunities, more jobs,” he said. “Michigan is Ontario’s No. 1 trading partner, with over $70 billion of two-way trade.”

Ford added that the bridge opening is critical for Canadian manufacturers.

The Conservatives have criticized the prime minister for his description of the deal’s terms that contradicted the text. Conservative MP Kelly McCauley, who chairs the House of Commons government operations committee, said he will convene a meeting July 29 to get to “the bottom of the matter.”

A Canadian opening ceremony is scheduled to take place on Friday, with cross-border celebrations recently cancelled by the federal government after Washington announced plans for new tariffs on Canadian goods.

The bridge is scheduled to open to traffic on Monday, July 27.

National Post

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our politics newsletter, First Reading, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Without so much as an official final game at TD Place Arena to mark their departure, the Ottawa Charge have packed their bags after three seasons at Lansdowne Park and are headed to a new-to-them home in Kanata. Read More
August 17, 2026 - 04:00 | Bruce Deachman | Ottawa Citizen
There has been no shortage of complaints about return-to-office policies, and it seems those concerns are often dismissed as simple resistance to change. However, what is being overlooked is the real and lasting impact these policies are having on employee well-being, morale, and mental health. Read More
August 17, 2026 - 04:00 | Alex Robinson | Ottawa Citizen
OTTAWA — CRA found some revenues for the U.S. pharmaceutical giant behind diabetes and weight-loss medication Mounjaro lower than expected and suspects the company didn’t pay enough taxes in 2020, National Post has learned. New Federal Court filings reveal that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) launched an audit of pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly’s Canadian arm in 2024 after noting that the firm’s 2020 profit margins appeared suspiciously below the norm. “The Agency determined that Lilly Canada acquired all its inventory from related offshore entities with the bulk of the inventory...
August 17, 2026 - 04:00 | Christopher Nardi | National Post