Don't assume suspected arson was antisemitism, urge owners of destroyed Montreal kosher restaurant | Page 2 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Stewart Lewis
Publication Date: August 5, 2026 - 17:08

Stay informed

Don't assume suspected arson was antisemitism, urge owners of destroyed Montreal kosher restaurant

August 5, 2026

The owners of Nöam, a kosher restaurant in Montreal that was extensively damaged by fire in the early hours of Saturday morning, are urging the public not to jump to the conclusion that it was an act of antisemitism.

Montreal police are investigating the fire as a suspected arson and have not yet publicly established a motive, said co-owners Ynon Cohen and Meir Azerad in a statement emailed to National Post.

“We understand why people were so quick to frame this as an open and shut case of antisemitism, but we at Nöam are actively fighting the urge to declare certainty before all the facts are known,” the restaurant’s manager, Tzvi Harrison, told National Post in an email on Wednesday. “We are trying to be guided by truth rather than fear … We know people are scared and feel the inarguable tear in the social fabric of the Montreal Jewish community, but until we know that this is a case of antisemitism, we continue to urge everyone to follow the facts.”

While Nöam is proudly Jewish-owned and kosher, say Cohen and Azerad in their statement, it was created as a welcoming space for the entire Montreal community.

“Nöam was never simply a restaurant,” Cohen says. “It became a place where families celebrated birthdays, couples went on dates, friends gathered, and people from every background sat together around the same table. It was a community place, a place filled with warmth, laughter and life.”

Harrison says that the community “came in droves Saturday, immediately from synagogue and after Shabbat ended, sharing their condolences and wishing us the best. (And) since Sunday morning we’ve received thousands of messages. Many … wanted to see what they could do to help. Businesses reached out to us offering their properties free of charge so we can potentially do a popup if we wanted. And we received calls from people around the world who had never heard of Nöam.”

Cohen and Azerad have established a GoFundMe page to help rebuild the business. “While insurance may help with some of the losses, it cannot replace years of hard work, nor can it fully cover the immense cost of rebuilding a business from the ground up,” they say on the page.

“Someone from the community started a GoFundMe for us, so we hopped on that and have seen tremendous support,” says Harrison. By the end of Wednesday almost $42,000 of the sought-after $250,000 had been raised.

“Regarding where the funds will be going, the place is completely gutted,” notes Harrison. “We have repairs, staff salaries, appliances, bills, etc., that insurance alone cannot cover entirely. For example, we redid the entire pipe system on Friday, less than 24 hours before the arsonist set fire to it.”

Nöam has been in contact with the police and awaits further updates, says Harrison. “Thankfully, businesses and homes nearby have come forward with footage that is being analyzed as we speak.”

Meanwhile, Cohen and Azerad are asking the public and media to “respect the integrity of the police investigation and to refrain from spreading unverified information.”

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Toronto Maple Leafs centre John Tavares testified in the Tax Court of Canada yesterday about the strong passions and intensely pressured negotiations that led to him leaving the New York Islanders for his hometown team in 2018 in a blockbuster seven year, $77-million deal. “You’re trying to earn a contract you deserve for where you are in the marketplace of the game and the comparables in the league,” Tavares testified. But under cross-examination by counsel for the Crown, he failed to completely erase the impression that his “signing bonus” of $70 million over seven years — more than...
August 18, 2026 - 15:58 | Joseph Brean | National Post
Wildfire management in Saskatchewan will be informed by First Nations perspectives, as outlined in an MOU signed by the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency and two nations, Tuesday. 
August 18, 2026 - 15:38 | Tavi Dhillon | Global News - Canada
This August, Ottawa is invited to come together for Capital Pride, a celebration of community, inclusion and self-expression. This year’s theme, Together, We Shine, highlights the people, stories and voices that make Ottawa-Gatineau’s 2SLGBTQQIA+ community vibrant, resilient and proud. Inspired by the symbol of a spotlight, the theme is a reminder that when people feel seen, supported and connected, communities grow stronger. Every volunteer, artist, activist, ally, organization, business and resident who takes part in the celebrations helps create safer spaces where everyone belongs....
August 18, 2026 - 15:29 | City of Ottawa - Media Relations / Ville d'Ottawa - Relations avec les médias | City of Ottawa News Releases