IDF staying in Gaza 'until Hamas is completely disarmed,' Netanyahu says | Page 13 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Jerusalem News Syndicate
Publication Date: August 5, 2026 - 09:38

Stay informed

IDF staying in Gaza 'until Hamas is completely disarmed,' Netanyahu says

August 5, 2026

Israel will not pull back from its current positions in the Gaza Strip until the Hamas terrorist organization is completely disarmed, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reiterated on Tuesday.

“I am standing firm on our security interests — we will not withdraw from our current lines until Hamas is completely disarmed,” Netanyahu said in a Hebrew-language video posted to his Facebook page.

He added that Israel Defence Forces soldiers had been instructed “to do everything necessary to defend themselves, to defend our territory, to defend our citizens.”

U.S. President Donald Trump and his team believe they can persuade Hamas to demilitarize the Gaza Strip, he said, adding, “We are examining that.”

The Trump administration presented Israel with a draft agreement that Jerusalem rejected, according to Netanyahu. “This is not our draft,” he stressed, adding that Israel had conveyed its own comments to the White House.

“We are standing firm on our interests,” the prime minister concluded.

In a podcast interview with Israeli historian and media personality Gadi Taub aired on Monday, Netanyahu expressed skepticism regarding Hamas’s willingness to lay down its weapons as required by the Board of Peace’s 15-point Roadmap for peace in Gaza.

“I don’t think Hamas is going to turn into a kitten—this predator,” Netanyahu said.

The 15 points were published last week, followed by concerns in Israel that they stipulate the withdrawal of the IDF from the Gaza Strip before the terrorist group fully disarms.

When asked if Israel had missed the opportunity to eradicate Hamas in Gaza, the prime minister replied, “It’s not missed—it’s not completed. There’s still work to do … Hamas must be disarmed and Gaza demilitarized, and only then (Gaza) can start reconstruction, including rehabilitating its fanaticism.”

Earlier this week, Nickolay Mladenov, the Board of Peace’s high representative for Gaza tasked with overseeing the ceasefire with Hamas, said after talks with Netanyahu in Jerusalem that implementation of Trump’s Gaza plan had entered the “ hard phase .”

“Long day in Jerusalem, sitting down with Prime Minister Netanyahu and his team,” Mladenov wrote on X on Monday. “This is the start of the hard phase and I have never pretended otherwise. Not much of what we do now is dramatic. It is slow, grinding and technical work.”

Earlier on Monday, the Board of Peace stated that it and Israel “share a common understanding of the ultimate objectives. Contrary to inaccurate reports, we note that the withdrawal of the IDF beyond the Yellow Line will take place only once decommissioning (of weapons) is complete, as Hamas committed to the mediators.”

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Canada’s airlines are in a race to provide an improved economy flying experience, promising cushy upgrades in an environment that has become notorious for its frustrations. However, it may be prudent for the economy traveller not to be quickly seduced by the promised upgrades. “It isn’t about restoring pleasure to economy, it’s about premiumization,” says John Gradek, aviation industry specialist and lecturer at McGill University. The upgrades are more likely to attract premium and loyalty flyers, he suggests. Recent upgrade announcements have come from Air Canada, WestJet, Air...
August 23, 2026 - 06:02 | Stewart Lewis | National Post
Alberta’s independence referendum is now just two months away, with nothing less than the future of the country at stake, so I wanted to check back in with one of the more thoughtful separatist leaders. I remain one of those flag-waving, Canada-first Albertans who intends to vote Option 1 on Oct. 19 — that Alberta should remain a province of Canada. Yet because of voices like Keith Wilson’s, who advocates Option 2 (that the Alberta government commence the legal process required under the Constitution to hold a binding referendum on secession), I am far from complacent about the outcome...
August 23, 2026 - 06:00 | Donna Kennedy-Glans | National Post
ALWAYS SO CONCERNED ABOUT QUEBEC Read More
August 23, 2026 - 05:00 | Doug Menary, Ottawa Citizen | Ottawa Sun