Retail theft leads to 546 arrests, 4,033 charges in Toronto ... and more work needed | Page 902 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Chris Knight
Publication Date: August 5, 2026 - 14:30

Stay informed

Retail theft leads to 546 arrests, 4,033 charges in Toronto ... and more work needed

August 5, 2026

Targeting what the Retail Council of Canada calls “repeat and prolific offenders,” Toronto police say their Organized Retail Crime Unit has led to hundreds of arrests and thousands of charges against criminals who, video evidence shows, sometimes walk out of stores laden with goods and facing little to no resistance.

In a press conference on Wednesday morning, Police Chief Myron Demkiw outlined the creation almost two years ago of a dedicated unit operating out of 23 Division in the city’s west end.

Its aim is to centralize investigations, strengthen partnerships with retailers and enhance enforcement efforts, and Demkiw said it has borne real fruit. To date, the unit has resulted in 546 arrests, 4,033 charges laid, and more than $1.6 million in stolen merchandise linked to investigations.

Police superintendent Ron Taverner noted that two investigations each involved four suspects but resulted in more than 100 charges in each case. A third resulted in the arrest of 20 individuals with more than 400 charges laid against them. (Due to ongoing court proceedings, specific identifiers on the accused and the charges couldn’t be disclosed.)

Rui Rodrigues of the Retail Council of Canada was also at the press conference. “We’re confronting one of the most rapidly evolving public safety challenges that affects workers, retailers and our communities at large,” he said, adding: “Retail crime is not simple shoplifting and it is absolutely not victimless.”

He spoke of the need for multiple organizations to work together to combat this crime, which he and police argue is being used to fund further organized crime.

“Retailers cannot solve this alone and police cannot solve this alone,” he said. “Prosecutors and government cannot solve this alone. We need to work together as a community. Real progress requires all of us doing this together … treating organized retail crime with the seriousness that it demands.”

Rodrigues lauded the recent passage of Bill C-14, noting that it has led to “things like reverse onus being utilized, aggregated charges being applied, sentencing guidelines changing so retail criminals see severe charges,” and bail reform.

He added: “What Canada needs now is consistency; consistent enforcement, consistent prosecution, which is critical, and consistent use of our criminal code, tools that are already available to meaningfully disrupt organized retail crime networks.”

He also bristled at the term “shoplifters,” noting: “We’re talking the organized, the prolific, the 15 per cent that causes 90 per cent of the issues.”

“Ontario needs to move beyond individual, jurisdiction-led responses,” Rodrigues said, and called for “a provincially funded joint force operation dedicated to retail crime.”

Police also shared security camera video of several retail thefts, noting that in each case arrests had been made.

One shows several suspects entering an LCBO outlet with bags and even a large suitcase, and leaving with store shopping carts full of liquor. They are so laden down that several bottles are dropped, with the final suspect hustling out with numerous bottles cradled in his arms.

A second video showed suspects using pepper spray on store security and passersby who tried to prevent them from driving off.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
OTTAWA — The owner of a small Canadian business that imports electric golf carts from China says his company is now in jeopardy because the federal government has billed him for more than $178,000 after placing his three-wheeled buggies in the same import category as electric vehicles (EVs). Joseph McLuckie, who founded JPSMGolf in 2006 in his Toronto basement, said Friday that he has exhausted his appeals with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) after the federal department confirmed its ruling that his company’s golf carts are considered sport vehicles because they “are conveyances...
August 22, 2026 - 06:00 | Simon Tuck | National Post
MORE CHARGED-UP CONVERSATIONS COMING? Read More
August 22, 2026 - 05:00 | Doug Menary, Ottawa Citizen | Ottawa Sun
The new History Ottawa music venue will be a high note for downtown. Music has always been an important part of this city. In earlier times, the Civic Centre, Le Hibou Coffee House, the Capital Theatre, Barrymore's and small clubs in the Market brought many popular musical acts, particularly rock and roll acts, to Ottawa, but many of those institutions have fallen aside. Read More
August 22, 2026 - 04:00 | Doug Menary | Ottawa Citizen