Third suspect charged in Vaughan, Toronto synagogue shootings | Page 2 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Chris Knight
Publication Date: August 10, 2026 - 15:24

Stay informed

Third suspect charged in Vaughan, Toronto synagogue shootings

August 10, 2026

York Regional Police have charged a third suspect in connection with a pair of shootings at synagogues in the cities of Vaughan and Toronto in March.

Chris Perreira, 23, of Barrie, Ont., has been arrested and charged with numerous crimes, including four counts of discharge of a firearm, possession of property obtained by crime and mischief related to religious property, in connection with shootings that occurred at two synagogues on the night of March 6 this year.

Perreira had previously been charged in connection with a shooting that occurred on March 25 at a residence in the area of Clubhouse Road and Pine Valley Drive in Vaughan. He has now also been charged in connection with yet another shooting that occurred on March 19 in the area of Steeplechase Avenue and Beacon Hall Drive in Aurora, Ont.

The first synagogue incident took place on March 6, just before midnight, when sounds of gunshots were reported in the area of Clark Avenue West and York Hill Boulevard. York Regional Police saw the front doors of a synagogue had been damaged by gunfire. Two occupants inside at the time were not injured.

Then, just after midnight, Toronto Police responded to reports of gunshots at a synagogue in the area of Bathurst Street and Glencairn Avenue. Again, there was damage to the synagogue’s front entrance consistent with gunfire. No one was inside at the time.

York Regional Police had previously announced that two suspects had been charged in relation to these incidents. They say that with the arrest of the third, there are no outstanding suspects related to the synagogue shootings.

However, the investigation remains ongoing, and anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police Firearms Investigations Team at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7817. Anonymous tips can also be made to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS, or at www.1800222tips.com

The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs responded to the news with a statement.

“The laying of charges against the third and final suspect in connection with the March shootings targeting GTA synagogues marks an important development in this investigation,” the group said. “With no outstanding suspects, we commend Toronto and York Regional Police for their work to identify and apprehend all those alleged to have carried out these attacks.”

However, they noted that questions remain about who directed those accused of carrying out the shootings.

“Last week, Toronto Police Chief Myron Demkiw again raised concerns about local youth and criminals being hired to commit acts of violence on Canadian soil,” the group said. “This announcement comes within the broader context of Canada’s Integrated Threat Assessment Centre warning of a ‘realistic possibility’ that Iran’s Islamic regime is directing local criminal elements to target Canadians. As well, the federal government’s Secretary of State for Combating Crime has acknowledged that a ‘foreign entity’ is behind attacks against synagogues in Toronto.”

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
The woman was taken to Hamilton General Hospital in critical condition where she later died from her injuries. The driver remained at the scene and is cooperating.
August 19, 2026 - 12:42 | Sean Previl | Global News - Canada
Justin Trudeau’s post-political life has taken him from Davos to Saint-Tropez, Japan to San Francisco, and a host of other destinations this past year — and an RCMP security detail has likely been along for many of the trips. Sources familiar with security arrangements told Quebecor Media’s TVA Nouvelles and Journal de Montréal that the 54-year-old continues to receive regular protection from the federal police force, including while he travels for personal reasons. The sources did not specify which trips involved RCMP officers and the RCMP would not “confirm or deny” whether Trudeau...
August 19, 2026 - 12:39 | National Post Staff | National Post
For 2024-25, Statistics Canada estimated that total production of durum wheat in Canada to be 5.9 million tonnes, with total supply projected to be 6.3 million tonnes.
August 19, 2026 - 12:37 | Adriana Fallico | Global News - Canada