B.C. mayor calls on Ottawa to stop rolling ER closures amid wildfires | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Rahim Mohamed
Publication Date: August 13, 2026 - 19:03

Stay informed

B.C. mayor calls on Ottawa to stop rolling ER closures amid wildfires

August 13, 2026

OTTAWA — A southern Interior B.C. mayor is asking Ottawa to help keep area emergency rooms open while firefighters and thousands of evacuees contend with nearby wildfires.

Mike Goetz, mayor of Merritt, B.C., sent a formal request for help to federal Health Minister Marjorie Michel this week, with the city’s local emergency room facing its 10th scheduled temporary shutdown of the year this weekend.

Goetz is asking Michel to launch an immediate investigation into the rolling closures and potentially take over the management of local hospitals in the southern Interior.

His municipality is currently sheltering some 300 wildfire evacuees and 150 firefighters. A wildfire outbreak last weekend forced roughly 13,000 residents to flee the nearby town of Summerland.

Goetz told local media that his community’s emergency room was an indispensable source of 24-hour medical care for first responders putting their lives on the line.

“These firefighters are working shift, they’re out there on the fire… and somebody gets hurt, well you know, now they’re making a one-hour trip to Kamloops or Kelowna,” said Goetz.

Goetz didn’t respond to an interview request from National Post.

Merritt, a community of 7,000 permanent residents, is one of several small towns in the southern Interior that have been hit by intermittent emergency room closures, due primarily to a lack of available doctors and nurses.

According to data previously cited by Mayor Goetz, there were 137 emergency room closures across B.C.’s Interior in 2025, averaging one closure every 2.6 days.

Goetz said he’d lost confidence in the B.C. government’s ability to handle the situation, and criticized provincial Health Minister Josie Osborne for what he called a lack of communication about the situation.

“There has to be some sort of a higher power look at this because whatever they’re trying to do right now isn’t working,” said Goetz.

Goetz has been a staunch critic of the rolling emergency room closures, sending B.C. Premier David Eby a $103,831.87 invoice for the service interruptions last month.

Osborne’s office did not reply to a request for comment from National Post by deadline.

Spokesperson Emilie Gauduchon-Campbell said Michel received Goetz’s letter on Tuesday and is monitoring the situation closely.

Gauduchon-Campbell didn’t comment on the substance of the letter but said that Michel is in regular contact with Osbourne.

“Minister Michel has regular conversations with her provincial and territorial counterparts, including Minister Osborne in BC, and remains committed to working closely with the Province to support British Columbians,” wrote Gauduchon-Campbell in an email.

MLA Anna Kindy, health critic for the Opposition B.C. Conservatives, expressed support for Goetz in a statement.

“It’s deeply unfortunate that the situation has gotten so critical that Merritt’s mayor, Mike Goetz, has had to make an extraordinary call for Ottawa to assert control over provincial jurisdiction,” said Kindy.

“Merritt is not only sheltering wildfire evacuees but firefighters who are putting their lives at risk. Major burns and inhalation injuries need immediate airway (respiratory) management as well as cardiovascular resuscitation. Travelling a further hour due to an ER closure could be fatal.”

National Post rmohamed@postmedia.com

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
An outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in downtown Toronto is currently under investigation by Toronto Public Health (TPH). In a news release on Monday, health officials said the outbreak has occurred in an approximately one-kilometre radius of the intersection of Bathurst Street and Dupont Street, with six confirmed cases identified among people who live, work or have visited the area. The source of the outbreak is yet to be confirmed, but TPH said possible sites have been identified and precautionary control measures have been implemented. Local hospitals and health partners have also...
August 18, 2026 - 14:50 | Ellie Hutchings | National Post
Brayden Bushby, the man convicted of manslaughter in the 2017 death of Barbara Kentner in Thunder Bay, Ont., has been granted full parole with conditions. The decision was made by the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) on Thursday, according to documents provided to CBC News on Tuesday.
August 18, 2026 - 14:47 | | CBC News - Canada
Provincial police say they have found a third set of human remains at a property near Smiths Falls in eastern Ontario. They have identified the latest remains as Lawrence Bertrim, who was last seen in 2022.
August 18, 2026 - 14:40 | | CBC News - Ottawa