Source Feed: The Globe and Mail
Publication Date: March 31, 2025 - 07:00
Which of Ontario’s supervised drug consumption sites are closing, and which will stay open?
March 31, 2025
The Ontario government has been attempting to close about half of the province’s supervised drug consumption sites as it seeks to shift away from harm reduction and instead focus on treatment. The government passed legislation last year to ban such sites next to schools and child-care centres, and has also said it won’t approve new or relocated sites. The closings were slated to happen on April 1, but a judge issued an injunction last Friday that will keep them open until a court challenge is decided, offering at least a temporary reprieve.The province says its push to close the sites does not mean it’s giving up on addiction care: It will replace the consumption sites with Homelessness and Addiction Recovery Treatment centres to shelter, employ and rehabilitate drug users, but they won’t allow visitors to take drugs under the eye of nurses who can help them in case of overdoses. Here’s an overview of the facilities that would close if the government eventually wins in court, and which would remain open.!function(){"use strict";window.addEventListener("message",(function(a){if(void 0!==a.data["datawrapper-height"]){var e=document.querySelectorAll("iframe");for(var t in a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var r,i=0;r=e[i];i++)if(r.contentWindow===a.source){var d=a.data["datawrapper-height"][t]+"px";r.style.height=d}}}))}();
April 3, 2025 - 04:01 | | CBC News - Canada
Ottawa Centre’s election race is party to some familiar faces. Read More
April 3, 2025 - 04:00 | Marlo Glass | Ottawa Citizen
Two Toronto councillors want the city to change garbage day in three west-end wards as the current schedule “negatively impacts” patio season.
April 3, 2025 - 04:00 | Aaron D’Andrea | Global News - Canada
Comments
Be the first to comment