The bodies of over 1,000 Quebecers went unclaimed last year. What's going on? | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: CBC News - Canada
Publication Date: August 11, 2026 - 04:00

Stay informed

The bodies of over 1,000 Quebecers went unclaimed last year. What's going on?

August 11, 2026

In Quebec, when someone dies, surviving family members usually claim the body. If not, the province oversees the remains and authorizes a funeral home to arrange cremation and burial. This isn’t as rare as you might think — it happened more than 1,000 times last year, and that number is growing.



Unpublished Newswire

 
The province says it has hired more than 4,700 health-care workers since October of 2023, and that almost 1,500 of the new additions are nurses.
August 18, 2026 - 18:08 | Tavi Dhillon | Global News - Canada
As a new round of punishing new tariffs on Canada looms, a Leger poll suggests more than half of Canadians want the federal government to take a hard line and make no more concessions with the United States. Andrew Enns, Leger's executive vice-president for Central Canada, says that will be a challenge for Canada's leaders, who want to secure a deal with the Americans.
August 18, 2026 - 17:47 | Catherine Morrison | The Globe and Mail
Jayden Clarke, 31, is charged with three counts of mischief after turning himself into police last week. Clarke's lawyer says the incident was fueled by alcohol and not hate for the Jewish community. Some in the Jewish community aren't convinced.
August 18, 2026 - 17:21 | | CBC News - Canada