Canada will stay true to its 'values' in helping people of Gaza: Anand | Page 888 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Catherine Lévesque
Publication Date: January 23, 2026 - 10:18

Stay informed

Canada will stay true to its 'values' in helping people of Gaza: Anand

January 23, 2026

QUEBEC CITY — Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand said on Friday that Canada will continue to stay true to its “values” in helping the people of Gaza.

Anand’s comments come amid U.S. President Donald Trump’s latest bombshell that he was withdrawing Prime Minister Mark Carney’s invitation to join his “Board of Peace.”

“Our values have been clear,” she said. “Hamas should have no role in the future governance of Palestine. Hamas must demilitarize and disarm. There must be a ceasefire, and Israelis and Palestinians must be able to live in peace and security side by side.”

Anand said that the Canadian government have already put on the table approximately $400 million in humanitarian aid and will continue to do so regardless of the situation.

“That has been a priority of mine and ours in this government, and we will continue with that process, without question,” she said.

Anand said she is “constantly” in touch with her G7 counterparts on the situation in Gaza.

Carney’s ministers are in meetings in chilly Quebec City for their “cabinet planning forum” ahead of the new session starting Monday.

On Thursday evening, they were enjoying fine dining at the Château Frontenac when news of Trump rescinding his invitation to Carney to the “Board of Peace” popped on their phones.

“Dear Prime Minister Carney: Please let this Letter serve to represent that the Board of Peace is withdrawing its invitation to you regarding Canada’s joining, what will be, the most prestigious Board of Leaders ever assembled, at any time,” he wrote on social media.

The latest turn of events seemingly marks an escalation of the tensions between Canada and the U.S. after Carney offered a widely praised speech at the World Economic Forum.

On Tuesday, Carney declared to the audience that the old “rules-based international order” was dead and exhorted countries to speak out against bullies and “hegemons.” He, however, did not single out Trump or any other world leaders by name.

The later after, Trump told the Davos crowd that Canada — and its prime minister — should be “grateful” to its southern neighbour.

“They should be grateful to us, Canada — but they’re not. Canada lives because of the United States. Remember that, Mark, the next time you make your statements.”

On Thursday, Carney offered a succinct rebuttal in an address in Quebec City.

“Canada and the United States have built a remarkable partnership in the economy, in security and in enriched cultural exchanges,” he said.

“Canada doesn’t live because of the United States. Canada thrives because we are Canadian.”

Carney had accepted a role on Trump’s newly formed “Board of Peace” last week, according to a senior government official, but grew more cautious as the days went by after it was revealed that the U.S. President would ask for a membership fee of $1 billion US.

“We think there (are) aspects of the governance and the decision-making process that could be improved,” Carney said in Davos.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our politics newsletter, First Reading, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
New statistics suggest Canadian border officers are playing an increasing role in combating the gangs that have spread fear in cities with large South Asian populations.
February 17, 2026 - 05:00 | Stewart Bell | Global News - Canada
OTTAWA — After its highly criticized rollout of the Strong Borders Act last spring, the Carney government has gone back to the drawing board and is considering tabling a narrower bill proposing additional search powers for police and spy agencies, National Post has learned. While Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree has repeatedly said that a new lawful access regime is a priority, his efforts to get the contentious bill C-2 through Parliament have been far from successful. The ability to seize Canadians’ private information and intercept communications, known as “lawful...
February 17, 2026 - 04:00 | Christopher Nardi | National Post
Ottawa’s already strained hospitals could lose 735 front line health workers and up to 200 beds over the next two years, according to an analysis based on the province’s own funding projections. Read More
February 17, 2026 - 04:00 | Elizabeth Payne | Ottawa Citizen