Tumbler Ridge shooting victim, 12, 'loved being at school' before he was 'murdered in cold blood,' father says | Page 8 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Sharon Kirkey
Publication Date: February 11, 2026 - 14:33

Stay informed

Tumbler Ridge shooting victim, 12, 'loved being at school' before he was 'murdered in cold blood,' father says

February 11, 2026

A grieving father whose son was killed in the Tumbler Ridge mass shooting said his 12-year-old son loved school so much he cried when his father once suggested home schooling.

“Our son went to school this morning and it happened that someone came to school with a GUN went to my kids classroom shot some kids and my son was killed too just like that,” Abel Mwansa said in an emotional Facebook tribute to his son, Abel.

Mwansa wrote that he raised his son “to respect elders, answer to one call, be strong, work hard,” focus on his studies and “never miss school.”

“One day I came up with an idea that he should do home school but he cried that I love being at school,” he said.

Mwansa said that before his son picked up his backpack and left for school Tuesday morning, he asked that his father pick him up after class at church, where he would be attending a youth meeting, “for he loved the Lord.”

Hours later, Mwansa learned that his son had been shot “like a stray dog murdered in cold blood.”

He said he treasures the “12 years and 11 months we spent with you” and said God didn’t take his son, “but death did.”

In one of the worst mass school shootings in the nation’s history, nine people were killed and at least 27 more injured in the community of Tumbler Ridge in northeastern B.C. Tuesday.

Six victims were found dead inside Tumbler Ridge Secondary School. Another died on the way to hospital.

Two more were found dead in a home nearby. Police said the only suspect was found dead inside the school from a self-inflicted injury.

National Post

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Ontario’s top court agreed house arrest was an “unfit” sentence for a man caught with 22,746 images and 741 videos of child sexual abuse, but it declined to give him prison time. A year ago, Justice Clayton Conlan of the province’s Superior Court of Justice handed Matthew Elias a conditional sentence of two years less a day on house arrest and three years of probation. The Crown appealed the sentence, arguing that Elias should get three years behind bars. “I agree with the Crown that the sentencing judge erred in principle by failing to recognize aggravating factors and failing to...
February 21, 2026 - 07:00 | Chris Lambie | National Post
The call to adventure came from a stranger in July 2020. It was a regular day in that plague year. Amid the mix of work emails came one from an address I didn’t know but with a subject line that immediately pulled me in: “Charles Saunders.” Hi Jon, I am hoping you might know or know about the writer, Charles Saunders, who lives in Dartmouth, the message opened. Reading his name conjured up strong images of the towering newspaper editor I’d worked with a decade ago. Built like a heavyweight boxer, but he moved like a cat. A genius with words and a wealth of writing wisdom, Charles was the...
February 21, 2026 - 06:30 | Jon Tattrie | Walrus
1 2 const title = "Weekly Quiz: Online Scapegoating, Elver Economics, and the Old World Order"; const date = "February 21, 2026"; const data = [ { image: "https://walrus-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/img/20260212_16-34-54_MSC2026_lbt-1200x800.jpg", title: "In Munich, Leaders Say Goodbye to the Old World Order", url: "https://thewalrus.ca/in-munich-leaders-say-goodbye-to-the-old-world-order/", question: "In February, leaders from around the world convened at the Munich Security Conference (MSC) to assess the shifting state of geopolitics...
February 21, 2026 - 06:00 | Sophie Siew | Walrus