Ontario sells private jet bought for Doug Ford's use back to Bombardier | Page 907 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: National Post Staff
Publication Date: April 22, 2026 - 16:32

Stay informed

Unpublished Opinions

Ontario sells private jet bought for Doug Ford's use back to Bombardier

April 22, 2026

Ontario has reversed the purchase of a private jet for Premier Doug Ford’s use by selling the Bombardier Challenger 650 back to Bombardier for the $28.9 million price it paid.

Ford announced the move while at a conference in downtown Toronto on Wednesday morning, reports Global News .

Ontario first bought the used Bombardier Challenger 650 for Ford’s travels across Ontario and to the U.S., especially trips related to pushing back against Donald Trump’s tariffs. The government framed it as a way to provide flexible, secure, and confidential travel for official business.

However, as National Post previously reported, critics argued that spending nearly $29 million on a second-hand jet was inappropriate. Opposition parties called it wasteful and out of touch during a period of public concern about affordability and spending. They said the government’s explanation did not justify the price tag, and some mocked it as a “gravy plane.”

Ford countered the criticism, saying that no one more scrutinized than him. He pointed to significant jet purchases by Quebec, as well as Ottawa for travel undertaken by federal ministers, comparing the range of geography he covers as similar to theirs.

Public reaction to the jet purchase was also negative when set against the rising cost-of-living, reports Now Toronto . Toronto residents said the funds would be better spent on healthcare, education, or hospitals.

Ford responded by saying he had heard the public criticism and instructed his staff to sell it as quickly as possible, reports the CBC .

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
I’m trying to figure out what Prime Minister Mark Carney thought he was doing at this year’s Global Progress Action Summit. The Global Progress Action Summit is an annual gathering of Canadian Liberals, United Kingdom Labour figures, United States Democrats, and assorted compatible figures from other countries. Carney spoke at this year’s summit on Saturday in Toronto, which took place the day after former US president Barack Obama gave a speech for Canada 2020, the Canadian organizers of the Global Progress Action Summit. This was, in turn, the day after the Public Policy Forum’s annual...
May 18, 2026 - 06:30 | Paul Wells | Walrus
An Ontario university is going on the offensive against a YouTube prankster in a unique lawsuit, asking a judge to force him to turn over the profits from viral videos filmed without permission on their campus. In a statement of claim, Ontario Tech University alleges content creator Fique Ayub Fique and his co-defendants associated with the @FiqueAyub YouTube channel were “unjustly enriched” by recording and posting the videos of two pranks where Ayub affected “an exaggerated Indian accent” to interrupt lectures with mocking questions, before cooking curry on a portable stovetop that...
May 18, 2026 - 06:00 | Special to National Post | National Post
May 18, 2026 - 06:00 | Lindsay Jones | The Globe and Mail