Labour unions were major third-party advertisers behind Alberta’s anti-separatist petition | Page 896 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Jesse Snyder
Publication Date: April 27, 2026 - 17:06

Stay informed

Labour unions were major third-party advertisers behind Alberta’s anti-separatist petition

April 27, 2026

Two of Alberta’s biggest unions advertised in favour of a petition to keep the province in Canada, with the labour groups spending more than 40 times those of the organizations who backed Alberta’s pro-separatist effort, according to a provincial public registry.

As of April 9, the United Nurses of Alberta had spent $34,391.07 to advertise in support of the Forever Canadian petition, while the Alberta Federation of Labour (AFL) spent $10,000, according to Elections Alberta’s public registry. By comparison, the only two organizations who registered to advertise in favour of Alberta’s separatist petition spent a combined $2,349.

According to provincial law, organizations planning to spend more than $1,000 advertising on behalf of a citizen-led petition must register with Elections Alberta as a third-party advertiser. Third party advertisers of petitions are distinct from donors, who are not listed in any public registry.

The question of third-party advertising in the province’s citizen-led petitions has come under greater scrutiny in recent days, after media reports uncovered that Elections Alberta was investigating whether the proponents of the separation petition had breached its rules. Two opposing petitions — one that proposes Alberta separates from Canada, and another suggesting it remain — have been vying for public support in recent months. The Forever Canadian petition closed in October 2025, while the Alberta independence petition is currently gathering signatures, and has a May 2 deadline.

Union groups have been some of the loudest voices opposing separation, saying it would threaten the terms of the Canada Health Act on which many of its members depend. Some First Nations have also opposed the separatist effort, arguing it could undermine their treaty rights.

Thomas Lukaszuk, the proponent behind the Forever Canadian petition, said he never communicated directly with the unions about advertising efforts, as per Elections Alberta’s rules.

“Frankly, when the nurses did it, it was a bit of a surprise,” Lukaszuk said.

Brent Rathgeber, who co-managed the Forever Canadian petition, said they “put Chinese walls between” the unions and the Forever Canadian campaign to ensure independence from advertisers.

In a radio ad , the United Nurses of Alberta said it was “very concerned about how separation from Canada could damage the public health care and public services that Albertans rely on every day.” The AFL has also opposed the Alberta independence petition, calling on its members to join a “ready to resist” campaign to protest against separation.

David Cournoyer, communications advisor to the United Nurses of Alberta, said the $34,391 went toward both radio and digital advertisements in support of the petition.

“United Nurses of Alberta’s elected board members voted to support the Forever Canadian citizen initiative because Canada is one of the best countries in the world and Alberta is better as part of Canada,” he said in an email.

The funding for those advertisements has far outweighed those supporting the organization behind the pro-separation petition, which has come under scrutiny from the province’s electoral office.

Last week, The Tyee first reported that Elections Alberta commissioner Paula Hale was seeking an injunction against the Alberta Prosperity Project (APP), a non-profit group founded and populated by some of the key organizers behind the separatist petition. According to court documents cited in the report, Hale’s lawyers are seeking to force the APP to register as a third-party advertiser for Stay Free Alberta, the organization that proposed the separatist petition question and is managing the collection of signatures.

The APP, according to Hale’s legal team, had likely spent more than $1,000 on pro-separation messaging, including on a billboard on Highway 2 near Wetaskawin, Alta., that reads, “Say yes to an independent Alberta.” Elections Alberta has sought receipts for advertising costs from APP that it hasn’t yet received, according to documents.

Mitch Sylvestre, the head of Stay Free Alberta, said Stay Free is “completely distinct” from the APP, which was set up years before Stay Free launched its petition. APP, he said, has for years advertised in favour of an independent Alberta, but said any advertising that is specific to the petition is handled through Stay Free.

Among the third-party advertisers behind the Stay Free Alberta is a campaign group called Act for Alberta that was launched by Rebel News, which has spent $1,349 on advertising or other efforts, according to the registry. The Alberta Nation Corporation, which lists a person named Richard Anderton as its main contact, spent $1,000. A Richard Anderton was a guest speaker at some previous APP events, according to online posts. Two other organizations, Yes to a Free Alberta and The Lavigne Show, are registered as advertisers but have not yet allocated money toward that purpose, according to the registry.

As part of its request for receipts, Elections Alberta is reportedly also calling for information on Stay Free’s donors, which comes after separate reports claiming that Stay Free had met with U.S. officials. No U.S. official from the Treasury Department or elsewhere has ever confirmed those meetings.

Asked whether the separatist petition is funded by U.S. actors, Sylvestre said it is “absolutely complete nonsense” from critics who intend to tie Stay Free Alberta to U.S. President Donald Trump’s 51st state remarks. He said Albertans were donating to Stay Free mostly in small amounts, but pointed out that donations are regardless capped at $4,600 per person.

“We’re getting our donations $50, $60, $70 at a time from Albertans all across the province,” he said. “We’re not beholden to anybody for any large donations.”

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our politics newsletter, First Reading, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney said there is momentum behind his nation-building agenda after receiving criticism from British Columbia Premier David Eby over the possible construction of a pipeline to his province’s coast. “What we’re trying to accomplish, and I think we’re really getting momentum now across the country, is we don’t want to hear what people are against, we want to hear what they’re for,” said Carney, during a Q&A in front of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade on Wednesday. “And if you’re for something, we will get behind you,” he added. Last week, Carney...
May 20, 2026 - 13:47 | Jordan Gowling | National Post
The City of Ottawa continues to show that the National Capital Region is Canada's Defence Innovation Hub. Mayor Mark Sutcliffe convened allied ambassadors and diplomats along with the city’s economic development agency, Invest Ottawa, for a briefing at Ottawa City Hall this morning. Representatives from 17 foreign missions were in attendance and received presentation on Ottawa-Gatineau’s Defence Innovation Hub Strategy. The briefing highlighted the region’s position as the country's centre of gravity for defence investment, capability development, and allied partnership. The...
May 20, 2026 - 13:32 | City of Ottawa - Media Relations / Ville d'Ottawa - Relations avec les médias | City of Ottawa News Releases
AI-generated antisemitic content is spreading quickly across the global social media platforms, drawing tens of millions of views while skirting moderation systems that struggle to keep up with the coded hate, according to a new report . Between January 2025 and this February, analysts at CyberWell, an independent Israel-based non-profit whose mission is to combat online antisemitism, identified 307 AI-generated antisemitic posts in English on five major platforms — TikTok, YouTube, X and Meta’s Facebook and Instagram. Those posts piled up more than 30 million views, over 2.8 million...
May 20, 2026 - 13:22 | Kenn Oliver | National Post