Carney says 'challenges' face auto sector after Honda pulls out of EV plant in Ontario | Page 4 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Jordan Gowling
Publication Date: May 6, 2026 - 11:36

Stay informed

Carney says 'challenges' face auto sector after Honda pulls out of EV plant in Ontario

May 6, 2026

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney admitted the auto sector in Canada is facing headwinds, after a report by a Japanese outlet confirmed Honda will be pulling out of a $15-billion electric vehicle plant in Ontario.

“Obviously there’s challenges with the U.S. tariffs, unjustified tariffs in the auto sector,” said Carney, before a caucus meeting on Wednesday.

“We continue to work with companies in the sector, helping them reposition, reinvest, supporting workers there, we’ll continue to do what’s necessary, including getting the right deal that’s in Canada’s interest,” he added.

On Tuesday, Nikkei Asia reported the Japanese carmaker decided to pull out of the plant in Canada due to waning demand for EVs in the U.S. and a pivot in its strategy towards hybrid models.

The plant in Alliston, Ont., was supposed to become operational in 2028 and would have produced up to 240,000 EVs annually.

Last May, Honda announced a delay in its plans for the plant, noting that the company would look at where the EV market is headed.

The federal government announced its auto strategy in February, which included an EV incentives program to build a stronger Canadian domestic consumer market.

However, the competitiveness of Canada’s auto sector remains in its integration with the United States under the Canada-United-States-Mexico-Agreement (CUSMA), which is under significant strain with U.S. tariffs on Canadian autos, aluminum, steel and copper.

Carney said last month that any CUSMA deal with the U.S. “will take some time.”

In the meantime, last month U.S. President Donald Trump announced changes to tariffs on metal imports, which means a 25 per-cent tariff is now applied on the whole product, versus what was the case before where just the percentage of steel, aluminum and copper content within a product was tariffed. This has added more strain to Canadian industries exporting to the United States.

In response, Industry Minister Melanie Joly this week announced $1.5 billion in funding for industries hit by the metal tariffs.

The prime minister is due to make an announcement in Mirabel, Que., related to the aerospace industry later today at 2:30 p.m. ET.

More to come.

National Post

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
A Toronto driver who fought and lost an accusation of failing to stop at a red light nearly two decades back has cleared his name on appeal. Neville Greene was charged on June 4, 2007. He pleaded not guilty, but a justice of the peace convicted him on July 10, 2008, after a police officer testified that he watched Greene turn left at the intersection of Sheppard Avenue West and Jane Street after the light turned red. “The Justice of the Peace’s reasons for conviction consist of the following two sentences: The officer was clear, concise and convincing of all the elements of the...
May 21, 2026 - 07:00 | Chris Lambie | National Post
Good morning. Uber drivers in Victoria scored a historic contract, but the fight over wages continues – more on that below, along with generic Ozempic’s long-awaited arrival and the murder charges against Cuba’s former president Raúl Castro. But first:
May 21, 2026 - 06:31 | Danielle Groen | The Globe and Mail
When Lady Fantasia LaPremiere and Mz Molly Poppinz—or, to use the names by which they are known outside of Thunder Bay’s drag circles, John Forget and Felicia Crichton—first started getting messages about a hateful post circulating on Facebook in 2022, they thought the mature thing would be to ignore it. The post was on a page called “Real Thunder Bay Courthouse—Inside Edition” and featured headshots of Lady Fantasia and Mz Molly from a poster for a drag queen storytime event at the public library. “Apparently, our City Council is completely unaware of local drag queens who have been...
May 21, 2026 - 06:30 | Linda Besner | Walrus