Manitoba premier says he is 'open to' Alberta-Ontario oil pipeline proposal | Page 895 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Stewart Lewis
Publication Date: July 22, 2026 - 12:49

Stay informed

Manitoba premier says he is 'open to' Alberta-Ontario oil pipeline proposal

July 22, 2026

CHARLOTTETOWN — Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew says he is willing to consider backing the west-to-east pipeline proposal announced by fellow premiers Alberta’s Danielle Smith and Ontario’s Doug Ford in early July that would cut through his province.

The proposed route would run across southern Manitoba, passing through the areas of Portage la Prairie and Winnipeg, and onward to Ontario.

“I’m open to it,” Kinew told reporters Wednesday at the Canadian premiers conference in Charlottetown. “Having spent a few days in Portage la Prairie, Man. last week, I can tell you, there’s probably a lot of people who (would) like to work on a pipeline.”

“So, I’m open to it, and it’s going to make Canada stronger. But of course, we want to see things done in the right way. We want Indigenous governments on side. We want workers taken care of. We want the environmental concerns all with that. So, you know, those will be the conversations.”

Smith and Ford appeared together in Calgary on July 6 to announce the new Northern Shield Energy Corridor proposal that would include a 3,300-kilometre oil pipeline running from Hardisty, Alta., to refineries in Sarnia, Ont., with a capacity of 500,000 to 800,000 barrels a day. The proposal also included creating an east-to-west transport corridor to ship critical minerals from Ontario to the Prairies and B.C.

“If there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s (that) we need to take action now to protect Canadian jobs and Canadian families,” Ford said at the time. Ontario is conducting a cost estimate that will be ready by the end of the year, he said.

Kinew added that his involvement with the project would involve speaking with “indigenous leaders in Manitoba” as well as “average Manitobans.”

At present, refineries in southern Ontario process an average of 386,000 barrels of oil per day, with the bulk of the oil originating in Alberta. However, it must pass through the U.S. before reaching Ontario.

The Northern Shield announcement followed a July 2025 memorandum of understanding between Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan to collaborate on building a new west-east pipeline.

Smith and Ford said they would be seeking support from Saskatchewan and Manitoba , while they also work to get 77 Indigenous communities onside.

National Post

slewis@postmedia.com

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Without so much as an official final game at TD Place Arena to mark their departure, the Ottawa Charge have packed their bags after three seasons at Lansdowne Park and are headed to a new-to-them home in Kanata. Read More
August 17, 2026 - 04:00 | Bruce Deachman | Ottawa Citizen
There has been no shortage of complaints about return-to-office policies, and it seems those concerns are often dismissed as simple resistance to change. However, what is being overlooked is the real and lasting impact these policies are having on employee well-being, morale, and mental health. Read More
August 17, 2026 - 04:00 | Alex Robinson | Ottawa Citizen
OTTAWA — CRA found some revenues for the U.S. pharmaceutical giant behind diabetes and weight-loss medication Mounjaro lower than expected and suspects the company didn’t pay enough taxes in 2020, National Post has learned. New Federal Court filings reveal that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) launched an audit of pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly’s Canadian arm in 2024 after noting that the firm’s 2020 profit margins appeared suspiciously below the norm. “The Agency determined that Lilly Canada acquired all its inventory from related offshore entities with the bulk of the inventory...
August 17, 2026 - 04:00 | Christopher Nardi | National Post