WestJet starts grounding planes before possible flight attendants strike | Page 900 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Mason Kossak
Publication Date: July 31, 2026 - 17:55

Stay informed

WestJet starts grounding planes before possible flight attendants strike

July 31, 2026

WestJet has already begun parking its aircraft ahead of a possible strike by its flight attendants on Sunday.

Because the airline has not yet reached a deal with the union representing its cabin crew, parking the planes “minimizes the risk of stranding guests and aircraft,” the airline said in a news release Friday. Also the move lets WestJet “maintain operational control and protect the integrity of the broader network.”

Flight attendants, represented by CUPE Local 8125, served a 72-hour strike notice Thursday. WestJet issued a lockout notice of its own shortly after, which would let the airline shut down operations rather than wait to be struck. Either notice can take effect at 12:01 a.m. MT Sunday.

At issue is how flight attendants get paid. The union says the current pay structure leaves hours of work uncompensated and wants pay for all time worked, a campaign it calls Unpaid Work Won’t Fly.

“There’s still time to avoid a strike,” Alia Hussain, president of CUPE 8125, said in a news release Thursday. “We will continue to bargain around the clock until this is resolved.”

The local represents 4,400 WestJet flight attendants. Members voted 99.4 per cent in favour of a strike mandate on July 15, on a turnout of 97.3 per cent the union said was its highest ever. That vote gave the bargaining committee the power to call a strike. It was not a commitment to walk out.

Ottawa has already stepped in once. Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu appointed a special mediator on July 15 to join two federal conciliators already at the table. CUPE has asked the government to go no further. Hajdu invoked Section 107 of the Canada Labour Code during last year’s Air Canada flight attendants strike, ordering cabin crew back to work and into binding arbitration.

Passengers booked between July 30 and Aug. 4 can change or cancel once at no extra cost. WestJet said Thursday those whose flights are delayed or cancelled will be refunded or re-accommodated where applicable.

WestJet Encore flights operated on a Q400, a turboprop flown on regional routes, are unaffected by this labour dispute, along with codeshare flights run by partner airlines. The airline did not explain the exemption. CUPE Local 8125 represents cabin crew at both WestJet and Encore but bargains for the two groups separately, under separate contracts, and the strike notice came from the mainline committee.

WestJet said Friday it remains “active at the bargaining table to achieve a mutually agreeable deal at the earliest possible time.”

The National Post has requested a statement from WestJet.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
The ByWard Market District Authority (BMDA) has parted ways with executive director Victoria Williston after only seven months.
August 18, 2026 - 07:52 | | CBC News - Ottawa
The new Palestinian ambassador to Ottawa, Feda Abdelhady, says Canadians have agency and need to back up their stated goals for a peaceful two-state solution by imposing consequences on Israel until it ends its occupation. Dylan Robertson
August 18, 2026 - 07:44 | Dylan Robertson | The Globe and Mail
Activist lawyers are aiming to leverage a recent court ruling to dramatically increase income assistance levels for homeless welfare recipients in Nova Scotia who live only in tents, trailers or their cars. Dalhousie Legal Aid Service has prepared a guide encouraging the homeless to apply for expanded benefits after the court ruled that a Halifax tent dweller was eligible for enhanced income assistance. Monthly income assistance could rise from $410 to $738 for people living in tents, cars or trailers. The effort comes in the wake of a decision from Chief Justice Michael Wood of the...
August 18, 2026 - 06:31 | Chris Lambie | National Post