U.S. officials urge Canada to take action after suspected arson at Montreal kosher restaurant | Page 10 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: National Post Staff
Publication Date: August 2, 2026 - 16:13

Stay informed

U.S. officials urge Canada to take action after suspected arson at Montreal kosher restaurant

August 2, 2026

Some U.S. officials are condemning the apparent arson that destroyed a popular kosher restaurant in Montreal early Sunday morning, with some characterizing the incident as part of a broader pattern of antisemitic attacks.

Illinois Congressman Paul Schneider, co-chair of the Congressional Jewish Congress, said he and his colleagues “are disgusted and outraged” by what he described as “yet another heinous attack on Jewish-owned business.”

“As antisemitism is increasingly normalized, violence and other attacks against Jews and Jewish institutions continue to escalate around the world,” he wrote on X. “This is a moment of crisis that requires all people of good conscience to speak up and condemn hate.”

Liberal MP Anthony Housefather, who on Saturday said “the matter must be investigated as a hate crime ,” thanked Schneider and his colleagues for reaching out to “express solidarity with the restaurant and building owners” and the community at large.

First responders were called to Nöam Restaurant in the Côte-des-Neiges neighbourhood around 3:15 a.m., where they found the building ablaze, per the Montreal Gazette . The two-storey building suffered extensive damage despite the efforts of some 80 firefighters.

Nobody was injured.

A police spokesperson said the investigation was handed over to the arson squad because a person was seen leaving the building shortly before the fire broke out.

The owner of the garage and car wash that sit on either side of the restaurant told the Gazette his security camera captured a lone person, likely a young man in his early 20s.

Police have yet to establish any motive.

“While the investigation proceeds, Canada’s leaders should actively work to protect and bolster the Jewish community,” U.S. Ambassador to Canada Pete Hoekstra posted on X.

Ambassador Rabbi Yehuda Kaploun, special envoy to monitor and combat antisemitism at the U.S. Department of State, said this incident, on the heels of Jewish-owned bakeries in Toronto hit by gunfire last weekend, that “the time for action is now.”

“As I told officials during my visit to Ottawa last week, Canada’s government must do far more to combat antisemitism, protect Jewish citizens, and hold the perpetrators of attacks fully accountable,” he shared on X.

Iddo Moed, Israel’s Ambassador to Canada, called out the attack and reports that an Israeli-born MLS player was met with chants of “Death to Israel” during a match against host CF Montreal at Stade Saputo.

According to The Times of Israel , fans in one section continually taunted New England Revolution striker Dor Turgeman, who responded by putting his team up 2-0 in the first half. (It ended in a 2-2 draw.)

“The hate must be stopped before it transforms into something lethal,” Moed posted on X.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Just as U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods were set to come into effect – one hour before the eleventh hour – President Trump extended the tariff deadline by 3 days. It is now Friday. So what happens now? Well, at the moment, the details are sparse. But it appears that the pillars to an agreement are in place. Are we truly out of the woods? Will the Trump administration pull this trick again before time runs out on them? Kristy Cameron digs deeper with Matt Poirier, the Vice-President of Federal Government Relations at the Retail Council of Canada. Plus, some universities are...
August 19, 2026 - 20:02 | | CFRA - 580 - Ottawa
British Columbia is lagging behind other provinces when it comes to universal affordable child care, according to a new report from the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. Of the 35 cities studied in the report, the five B.C. cities are the most expensive.
August 19, 2026 - 19:50 | | CBC News - Canada
Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe says a decision by U.S. President Donald Trump to not impose 50 per cent tariffs on an array of Canadian goods is positive for his province.
August 19, 2026 - 19:15 | Globalnews Digital | Global News - Canada