Carney's teleprompter quits, and he turns it into a joke about Trump | Page 902 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Mason Kossak
Publication Date: August 5, 2026 - 20:38

Stay informed

Carney's teleprompter quits, and he turns it into a joke about Trump

August 5, 2026

Mark Carney’s teleprompter quit during a housing announcement in Toronto on Wednesday, and the prime minister used the pause to take a shot at Donald Trump.

“I would like to inform you that the teleprompter has ceased to function,” Carney said. “Unlike a certain world leader, I do not view this as a conspiracy.” The crowd laughed.

Carney did not name Trump, however, last September, the U.S. president’s teleprompter failed during his address to the United Nations General Assembly , and he said afterward that he had been sabotaged.

Trump listed three problems from that visit. An escalator he and first lady Melania Trump had stepped onto stopped, the teleprompter went out and he said the sound was off. He told the assembly that whoever was running the prompter was “in big trouble,” then read from paper until it came back on.

He later called it “triple sabotage” in a post on Truth Social , demanded an investigation and said those responsible should be arrested. Stéphane Dujarric, spokesman for the UN secretary-general, said in a statement that a videographer from the U.S. delegation, moving backwards up the escalator ahead of the couple, may have set off a safety mechanism that brought it to a stop.

The Toronto event was a housing announcement with Mayor Olivia Chow. Carney also faced questions on the 50 per cent U.S. tariff set to hit a range of Canadian goods on Aug. 19 and said he is “very involved” in the negotiations.

Trump was in Las Vegas later the same day, speaking about tax cuts ahead of November’s midterm elections. He turned to tariffs and ran through countries he said had used them against the U.S., among them China, Japan, South Korea, Germany and Canada.

“I love the people, but they’re nasty,” Trump said of Canada. His remarks came after Carney’s, but there was no indication he had heard the prime minister’s joke.

Carney had tried the joke before. At a Greater Vancouver Board of Trade event in May, he started a teleprompter line about a conspiracy theory and stopped short of telling it.

“Happens, it happens,” he said, laughing, The Hill reported . “I’m not going to go into the — I’m not going to say who I — you know what, there’s a teleprompter joke I could tell about a conspiracy theory, but I think I, it’s probably not….”

On Wednesday, he finished it.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Activist lawyers are aiming to leverage a recent court ruling to dramatically increase income assistance levels for homeless welfare recipients in Nova Scotia who live only in tents, trailers or their cars. Dalhousie Legal Aid Service has prepared a guide encouraging the homeless to apply for expanded benefits after the court ruled that a Halifax tent dweller was eligible for enhanced income assistance. Monthly income assistance could rise from $410 to $738 for people living in tents, cars or trailers. The effort comes in the wake of a decision from Chief Justice Michael Wood of the...
August 18, 2026 - 06:31 | Chris Lambie | National Post
Good morning. Prime Minister Mark Carney says he will speak with U.S. President Donald Trump before new U.S. tariffs take effect on Wednesday. More on that below, along with a Churchill Falls hydro deal and Canada’s accidental landlords.
August 18, 2026 - 06:08 | Sebastian Leck | The Globe and Mail
Top municipal civil servants described a government that rushes through the consultation process, and is often "thin-skinned and unforgiving" when faced with criticism.
August 18, 2026 - 06:00 | Colin D’Mello | Global News - Ottawa