'You can't have it both ways': Minister says no budget boost on horizon for firearms 'buyback' compensation | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Stephanie Taylor
Publication Date: January 27, 2026 - 11:31

Stay informed

'You can't have it both ways': Minister says no budget boost on horizon for firearms 'buyback' compensation

January 27, 2026

OTTAWA — Federal Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree says there are no plans to change the budget available for firearms owners eyeing compensation for turning over their prohibited weapons. 

The Liberal government has earmarked spending $250 million to pay firearms owners who hand over one or more of the 2,500 makes and models of guns it has banned since 2020.

Anandasangaree said on Tuesday that money for the program has been pulled together from previous budgets and is a “constraint” the government is operating within. 

“As far as we’re concerned, the budget will not change.”

Federal officials anticipate collecting an estimated 136,000 weapons and say regardless of whether eligible gun owners participate, they must get rid of their banned weapons by the time an amnesty period expires at the end of October, either by handing them over to local police or having them deactivated.

The Parliamentary Budget Officer had warned in a 2021 analysis of the policy that depending on the number of guns collected and compensation rates, costs for the program could balloon to as much as $750 million, not to mention administrative costs.

Some firearms groups that fiercely oppose the policy have voiced concerns that firearms owners may not receive proper compensation under the program. The Opposition Conservatives have also panned the program.

Anandasangaree says those who have concerns can “mitigate” them by submitting a declaration to participate early. 

“I know some people are saying, especially those who oppose this program are saying, there’s not enough money. Well, you can’t have it both ways,” the minister said.

“We’ve had a really good start at the pace we’re going. We should still have adequate resources, so we’re encouraging people to go ahead and apply.”

The federal public safety department on Monday announced that it had so far received declarations for slightly more than 22,000 guns after opening the registration window one week earlier.

Under the program, firearms owners have until the end of March to submit their declarations should they seek compensation.

After that, collection efforts would be rolled out through several agreements the federal government has struck with local police in Winnipeg, Cape Breton, N.S., and Halifax.

The Quebec government has also pledged it support to help coordinate collection efforts, with Anandasangaree confirming on Tuesday that the Sûreté du Québec, the provincial police force would assist. 

Public safety officials have also indicated plans to roll out mobile collection units to provide coverage in areas where local police participation is not guaranteed.

Police across the Greater Toronto Area, for example, have so far said they have declined to participate, citing a lack of information and concerns about the impact on resources.

Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta have also declined to take part, same with the territorial governments of Yukon and the Northwest Territories.

The Northwest Territories government issued a statement last week confirming that it had received assurances that RCMP in the jurisdiction would focus “on core policing responsibilities to support community safety,” with federal officials saying firearms owners would be provided “mailed return kits and other collection options,” suited to support the needs of remote northern communities. 

National Post

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
The federal government is being called on to send aid to Cuba in the wake of tightening restrictions against the Caribbean island nation by the United States. Mexico sent two naval vessels 800 tonnes of humanitarian aid to Cuba last week. The shipments included essential food items as well as personal hygiene products. The federal New Democrats say Canada should follow suit. Last week in the House of Commons, NDP interim leader Don...
February 19, 2026 - 07:00 | Stewart Lewis | National Post
Until mid-afternoon on February 10, Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, was a place known for mining and bears, for its geopark and dinosaur fossils and mountain vistas. But most Canadians had likely never even heard of this town, with its approximately 2,700 residents. Set in the foothills of the Hart Ranges, a subrange of the Rocky Mountains, Tumbler Ridge is close enough to the famed mountain parks of Alberta and BC to share a bit of their epic scenery but far enough to go mostly unnoticed by the outside world. Everything is different now, and in the worst way. Eighteen-year-old...
February 19, 2026 - 06:30 | Christina Frangou | Walrus