Man considered a high-risk offender released and re-arrested within 2 hours: Guelph police | Page 864 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Chris Knight
Publication Date: February 3, 2026 - 11:42

Stay informed

Man considered a high-risk offender released and re-arrested within 2 hours: Guelph police

February 3, 2026

Police in Guelph, Ont., announced on Monday that they had re-arrested a man they consider to be a high-risk offender, just hours after informing the public that he had been released from custody.

On Monday at 2:24 p.m., Guelph Police Service posted to X that Medhani Yohans, 36, had been released from custody in Guelph Provincial Court after pleading guilty to a charge of breaching his probation order.

Referring to Yohans as “a high-risk offender,” police noted: “He has a history of violence that includes two stranger sexual assaults.”

They added: “The Guelph Police Service believes that Yohans poses a risk to the community, particularly to women, and is concerned that he may commit similar offences in the future.” They requested anyone who saw Yohans to not approach him but rather notify police, “in order to ensure he is abiding by his conditions.”

However, less than two hours after Yohans’ release, police arrested him, and then issued a press release stating that he was back in custody.

Yohans “was arrested downtown at 2:35 p.m. after he was observed breaching a condition of his latest probation order,” police said in the release. “He had been ordered to stay away from a particular address.”

They added: “He is now facing another count of breaching a probation order as a result of Monday’s arrest. He will appear in bail court Tuesday.”

This is not the first time Guelph police have warned the public about the man.

In August of 2024 they noted that Yohans had recently been released from a custodial facility in Toronto, and that his whereabouts at the time were unknown.

One of the conditions of his release was to show up at the Guelph Police station within seven days. When he failed to appear, a warrant was issued, and he was arrested later that month by another southern Ontario police service, and charged with two counts of failing to comply with release conditions.

Then, a year ago, Guelph Police made two warnings to the public, first that Yohans was being released from custody on March 1, and then that he had been seen sleeping on the University of Guelph campus at midnight on March 10. School officials at the time said that he was immediately removed by Campus Safety Officers.

Then, last July, police once again noted that Yohans had been released from custody in Guelph. This time he was re-arrested within 24 hours and charged with four counts of breach of probation, disobeying a court order, and criminal harassment.

“The Guelph Police Service extends its thanks to the community for their vigilance and assistance in this matter,” police said at the time.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
RCMP say two seniors in the Saskatchewan village of Love, northeast of Saskatoon, are dead and they believe one of them was killed.
February 21, 2026 - 09:58 | Globalnews Digital | Global News - Canada
Ontario’s top court agreed house arrest was an “unfit” sentence for a man caught with 22,746 images and 741 videos of child sexual abuse, but it declined to give him prison time. A year ago, Justice Clayton Conlan of the province’s Superior Court of Justice handed Matthew Elias a conditional sentence of two years less a day on house arrest and three years of probation. The Crown appealed the sentence, arguing that Elias should get three years behind bars. “I agree with the Crown that the sentencing judge erred in principle by failing to recognize aggravating factors and failing to...
February 21, 2026 - 07:00 | Chris Lambie | National Post
The call to adventure came from a stranger in July 2020. It was a regular day in that plague year. Amid the mix of work emails came one from an address I didn’t know but with a subject line that immediately pulled me in: “Charles Saunders.” Hi Jon, I am hoping you might know or know about the writer, Charles Saunders, who lives in Dartmouth, the message opened. Reading his name conjured up strong images of the towering newspaper editor I’d worked with a decade ago. Built like a heavyweight boxer, but he moved like a cat. A genius with words and a wealth of writing wisdom, Charles was the...
February 21, 2026 - 06:30 | Jon Tattrie | Walrus