Ontario school board trustees spent $175K to remove Sir John A. Macdonald's name from school | Page 900 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Stewart Lewis
Publication Date: May 14, 2026 - 18:05

Stay informed

Ontario school board trustees spent $175K to remove Sir John A. Macdonald's name from school

May 14, 2026

A student is raising questions about the Waterloo Region District School Board’s decision to spend $175,000 to rename a high school in Waterloo, Ont.

Grade 10 student Ishan Acharya’s inquiry stems from a vote by the board trustees in 2021 to rename Sir John A. Macdonald Secondary School. The reason cited for the decision was that Canada’s first prime minister had a founding role in the residential school system.

The board’s director of education, Scott Miller says the decision was “part of our ongoing commitment to Truth and Reconciliation.”

In an email to National Post, Miller cites an October 2020 decision by the trustees to review the names of all schools and board facilities and “identify any with racist or harmful associations” in line with the Ontario and Canadian Human Rights Codes. The school was officially renamed Laurel Heights Secondary School in 2022.

The decision preceded a 2025 change made by the Ontario government to update legislation and require approval from the Minister of Education when renaming a school, as previously reported by National Post. Plans for three schools in Toronto were abandoned afterwards.

Grade 10 student Ishan Acharya discovered the renaming cost after he filed a freedom of information request with the board. He was given a list of expenses, totalling $195,105.86, or $176,466.50 net with an HST rebate.

“It just appalled me,” Acharya told CTV News . “I don’t know who decided to spend this much money when students (are) struggling.”

The majority of the expenses were for renamed sports uniforms and equipment.

Miller said t he decision to rename the school “followed extensive engagement with students, parents, staff, Indigenous communities and the broader community. We heard clearly from many members of the community that the previous name did not reflect the inclusive and welcoming learning environments we strive to create for all students.”

Regarding the cost, Miller said, the costs were anticipated as part of the process.”

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Tejinder Singh , who is visiting family from India, was walking north along Highway 97 Year Highway 33 last week when the violent incident occurred.
May 20, 2026 - 23:33 | Klaudia Van Emmerik | Global News - Canada
Even a few Toronto Maple Leafs fans came in to cheer on Newhook, but they were reluctant to admit it, said the owner of the Newfoundland Embassy pub.
May 20, 2026 - 23:23 | Alessia Simona Maratta | Global News - Canada
Hundreds of millions of dollars have already been spent on the construction of the new White House ballroom, according to President Donald Trump. To date, it has mostly occurred below ground level. During a press conference at the site on Tuesday, Trump explained that the new 90,000-square-foot White House ballroom will have a massive military complex under it. It will include a military hospital, research facilities and various meeting rooms in the floors below the ballroom, Trump said. The construction goes down “six stories deep,” he said, describing the building as “well-knit” in...
May 20, 2026 - 23:05 | Stewart Lewis | National Post