U.S. State Department to close Winnipeg consulate among other foreign missions | Page 5 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Ellie Hutchings
Publication Date: August 4, 2026 - 14:02

Stay informed

U.S. State Department to close Winnipeg consulate among other foreign missions

August 4, 2026

The U.S. State Department plans to close five foreign missions, including a consulate in Winnipeg, according to sources cited by Reuters .

On Monday, the news agency reported that the department has filed notice of the impending closures to Congress, in a move that will see the United States reduce its number of consulates in Canada to six from seven.

The remaining U.S. consulates in Canada are located in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Halifax and Quebec City. The U.S. Embassy in Canada is located in Ottawa.

The mission in Winnipeg is what’s known as an American Presence Post (APP), which is a type of consulate that operates with limited staffing and responsibilities. According to the U.S. Embassy website , the consulate in Winnipeg does not provide full consular services, only emergency assistance to Americans in distress. Manitoba-related consular matters such as visas, passports, and notarials are handled at other U.S. consulates, primarily in Calgary.

As well as the consulate in Winnipeg, the State Department said it plans to close its posts in St. George’s, Grenada; Nagoya, Japan; Medan, Indonesia; and Douala, Cameroon.

The U.S. mission in St. George’s is an ⁠embassy, while the posts in Medan and Nagoya are consulates, and the post in Douala is an “embassy branch office.”

Reuters reports that the closures are a “rare” example of the U.S. downsizing its geopolitical footprint.

It follows reports that the State Department was preparing to close nearly a dozen foreign missions early last year , as part of U.S. President Donald Trump’s “America First” agenda.

U.S. missions around the world had been asked to look into reducing both American and locally employed staff by at least 10 per cent as part of a cost-cutting effort across the U.S. federal workforce.

The State Department did not confirm the planned closures, but said in a statement to Reuters on Sunday that it was ​focused on ensuring the ⁠nation’s diplomatic footprint was efficient and effective. The department added that it was committed to following congressional notification procedures.

Elsewhere, the U.S. State Department announced the resumption of operations at the long-closed embassy in Caracas, Venezuela , earlier this year, while the Trump administration in February informed Congress of potential plans to reopen the U.S. Embassy in Damascus, Syria , which has been closed since 2012.

Meanwhile, the reports of closures come days after the State Department caused a stir among attendees at a global conference in Brazil, where a U.S. government map of Africa mislabelled every country during a presentation by the department.

A Reuters analysis also found that the map contained a watermark that signalled it was made using AI.

The State Department said ​it took “full responsibility” for the confusion and that the map had been produced by a team member who ​had hastily changed the slide deck before the event.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Eagerly-awaited bike paths in part of Ottawa's east end now have a construction date after the announcement this week of federal funding.
August 21, 2026 - 12:37 | | CBC News - Ottawa
The Fall Mobility Update took place today, Friday, August 21, and provided an overview of expected travel conditions this fall, transportation improvements, and new tools and resources to help keep residents informed to better plan their trips...
August 21, 2026 - 12:17 | City of Ottawa - Media Relations / Ville d'Ottawa - Relations avec les médias | City of Ottawa News Releases
A new national survey has found that 63 per cent of Canadians describe health care in their province as being in a state of crisis, while 55 per cent believe the system has gotten worse over the past five years. The research, which was conducted by Abacus Data and commissioned by the Canadian Health Coalition, also noted that these concerns cross political lines, with a majority of Conservative (58 per cent) and NDP (54 per cent) supporters believing the system has become worse. Nearly half of Liberal supporters (49 per cent) share the same opinion. Overall, 91 per cent of Canadians...
August 21, 2026 - 12:11 | Ellie Hutchings | National Post