Canadian fugitive wanted for sexual assault arrested by ICE after 30 years on the run | Page 7 | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Ellie Hutchings
Publication Date: August 13, 2026 - 11:47

Stay informed

Canadian fugitive wanted for sexual assault arrested by ICE after 30 years on the run

August 13, 2026

A Canadian man who has been wanted since 1991 for allegedly sexually assaulting a child has been arrested by ICE in the United States after 30 years on the run.

Charles Peter Billone, 64, was arrested in Santa Cruz, Calif., earlier this month. According to ICE records, he is currently in custody at the Golden State Annex detention facility pending removal proceedings.

On Aug. 4, following Billone’s arrest, San Francisco’s Enforcement and Removal Operations X account shared a post detailing his crimes.

“ICE San Francisco arrested Charles Peter Billone, 64, in Santa Cruz,” the post read. “A fugitive from Canada since 1991, he has stolen property, assault, and drug convictions, and is wanted in Canada for sexual assault involving a child. He is in ICE custody pending removal proceedings.”

Billone, who was living in Hamilton, Ont., when he was accused in Canada, was arrested in 1991 for two counts of sexual assault and two counts of sexual interference. However, he failed to appear in court after being released on a recognizance, as reported by CBC .

Under Section 151 of the Criminal Code of Canada, sexual interference is defined as touching any part of the body of a person under age 16 for a sexual purpose.

Toronto Sun previously reported that Billone is accused of sexually assaulting his nine-year old stepdaughter for three years, and that Hamilton police also believe he sexually assaulted his stepdaughter’s friend.

In 2014, Hamilton police renewed efforts to track Billone down. “Charles Billone no longer exists,” Det. Paul Henderson of Hamilton police’s fugitive apprehension unit said at the time. “We can’t find him through any traditional means.”

They said Billone may have assumed another identity to evade capture and believed at the time that he could have been living in Manitoba or New Brunswick, where he has family connections.

His arrest in Santa Cruz marks the end of a three-decade-long manhunt. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security also shared news of his capture on X , writing: “Foreign criminals cannot hide in the shadows — we will do whatever it takes to find them and remove them from our nation.”

Officials have not shared details of how he was tracked down.

The news comes shortly after Kaitlyn Tracey, 33, also from Canada, was detained by ICE following an incident in which she slapped a teenager in Trump-branded clothing on the Point Pleasant Beach boardwalk in New Jersey.

It later emerged that Tracey was living in the U.S. on an expired visa and, on Aug. 4, a Texas immigration judge ordered that Tracey return to Canada after she entered a guilty plea on an assault charge.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
Supporters of a WNBA player caught at the centre of a debate about transgender athletes in women’s sports led a rally outside her team’s game in Toronto on Tuesday. Ahead of the hometown Tempo’s game against the Indiana Fever, a group gathered on the sidewalk outside Scotiabank Arena bearing signs in support of Fever guard Sophie Cunningham, whose July comment to ESPN about wanting to protect women’s sports has resulted in demonstrations in cities where the team has played road games. “I got a lot of negative feedback about me hating trans. And I’m like, ‘I never once said that,’” she...
August 19, 2026 - 14:53 | Mason Kossak | National Post
A pilot who has been missing since Friday has been found dead after searchers discovered his small aircraft underwater in the Kawartha Lakes region this week, Ontario Provincial Police say.
August 19, 2026 - 14:42 | | CBC News - Canada
The Cape Breton fiddler who claimed the online giant defamed him by falsely identifying him as a sex offender in an AI-generated summary has ended a civil lawsuit.
August 19, 2026 - 14:27 | Globalnews Digital | Global News - Canada