NDP MP Boulerice to run for Quebec politics, sit as independent until the fall | Unpublished
Hello!
Source Feed: National Post
Author: Catherine Lévesque
Publication Date: April 27, 2026 - 11:52

Stay informed

NDP MP Boulerice to run for Quebec politics, sit as independent until the fall

April 27, 2026

OTTAWA — Alexandre Boulerice, the NDP’s lone Quebec MP, has announced he will be seeking the nomination for Québec solidaire (QS) in the Montreal riding of Gouin and that he will be sitting as an independent MP until the election set to happen in the fall.

That means that Mark Carney’s Liberals will have to wait several months before they can call another byelection and possibly increase their majority in the House of Commons.

In a lengthy statement on social media, Boulerice said that, after serving 15 years in the NDP, his choice to run provincially is not only a homecoming but also a “new challenge” and “a continuity in my political implication as progressive, ecologist and humanist.”

He added that he is leaving Ottawa with his mind at ease, knowing that new NDP Leader Avi Lewis will be able to “show the real conservative face” of the Carney government.

It is still a huge blow to Lewis, who had urged Boulerice to stay on board with the NDP after his election last month. The NDP leader will be reacting to the news later today.

Boulerice was first elected under the NDP banner in Rosemont—La Petite-Patrie in 2011 during the “Orange Wave” that saw Jack Layton sweep 59 out of 73 seats in Quebec.

Boulerice was the only candidate who managed to get re-elected four times after that.

Speaking to the press, Boulerice said he was already considering bidding farewell to federal politics when he was approached by QS co-spokesperson Ruba Ghazal to run in the riding of Gouin, which he knows well since it overlaps with his federal constituency.

Ghazal said the contact came naturally, as they live close by and often see each other at local events. She said she had been hoping to bring him onto the team for some time.

More details to follow…

National Post calevesque@postmedia.com

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.



Unpublished Newswire

 
OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney said there is momentum behind his nation-building agenda after receiving criticism from British Columbia Premier David Eby over the possible construction of a pipeline to his province’s coast. “What we’re trying to accomplish, and I think we’re really getting momentum now across the country, is we don’t want to hear what people are against, we want to hear what they’re for,” said Carney, during a Q&A in front of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade on Wednesday. “And if you’re for something, we will get behind you,” he added. Last week, Carney...
May 20, 2026 - 13:47 | Jordan Gowling | National Post
The City of Ottawa continues to show that the National Capital Region is Canada's Defence Innovation Hub. Mayor Mark Sutcliffe convened allied ambassadors and diplomats along with the city’s economic development agency, Invest Ottawa, for a briefing at Ottawa City Hall this morning. Representatives from 17 foreign missions were in attendance and received presentation on Ottawa-Gatineau’s Defence Innovation Hub Strategy. The briefing highlighted the region’s position as the country's centre of gravity for defence investment, capability development, and allied partnership. The...
May 20, 2026 - 13:32 | City of Ottawa - Media Relations / Ville d'Ottawa - Relations avec les médias | City of Ottawa News Releases
AI-generated antisemitic content is spreading quickly across the global social media platforms, drawing tens of millions of views while skirting moderation systems that struggle to keep up with the coded hate, according to a new report . Between January 2025 and this February, analysts at CyberWell, an independent Israel-based non-profit whose mission is to combat online antisemitism, identified 307 AI-generated antisemitic posts in English on five major platforms — TikTok, YouTube, X and Meta’s Facebook and Instagram. Those posts piled up more than 30 million views, over 2.8 million...
May 20, 2026 - 13:22 | Kenn Oliver | National Post